General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

- How many `miles on your Monte Carlo + Problems ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 11:58 PM
Default I have 2 montes, a 2002 ss L36, and a 2005 supercharged ss with the supercharged L67.

My 2002 3800 engine and transmission have 226,420 miles on them. I do my own work on my cars and the only problems I’ve had is the BCM (body control module) going bad and making a few electrical problems but it’s only $341 at my nearest Chevrolet dealership to install a new one and everything was perfect again. The car runs amazing and super smooth, it’s very low about 6 inches off the ground at the highest part. I’ve had a valve cover gasket leak which I fixed in 6 hours only spending $30 for the gaskets. The boots cracked on the axle so I had to replace those as well, another cheap fix. I’m still using this car as my daily driver to deliver food for postmates and I easily put on 200+ miles every day. No problems, I recommend this car to anybody. My ex has a baby and we’ve never had an issue getting in or out of the car, there’s enough room for all of us. The baby enjoyed watching the sunroof open. I’ve also had to replace the upper motor mounts. The ones that have the dog bone shape, the rubber dry rotted because it is hot here in Florida. I have brake calipers with 2 pistons from an ex 2007 police car impala. You wouldn’t believe how well and smooth the vehicle stops. Inexpensive to install as well. the little plastic wheels on the window regulator pulley system snapped, $17 to fix and easy to install. Window motors still work.

2005 Monte Carlo supercharged SS. 136,000 miles. 3800 series 2 L67. Only problems so far is the valve cover gaskets leaking. It is slightly inconvenient having to change supercharger oil so often, but it is well worth it. This one takes premium gas so prepare to pay the extra. Blue money (Monte) is my Sunday driver vehicle when I feel like showing off. This car has 17 inch rims so it is a little higher off the ground than the 02, the 02 has aluminum rims and these are steel.

Old 11-05-2020, 12:12 AM
Default I have 2 montes, a 2002 ss L36, and a 2005 supercharged ss with the supercharged L67.

My 2002 3800 engine and transmission have 226,420 miles on them. I do my own work on my cars and the only problems I’ve had is the BCM (body control module) going bad and making a few electrical problems but it’s only $341 at my nearest Chevrolet dealership to install a new one and everything was perfect again. The car runs amazing and super smooth, it’s very low about 6 inches off the ground at the highest part. I’ve had a valve cover gasket leak which I fixed in 6 hours only spending $30 for the gaskets. The boots cracked on the axle so I had to replace those as well, another cheap fix. I’m still using this car as my daily driver to deliver food for postmates and I easily put on 200+ miles every day. No problems, I recommend this car to anybody. My ex has a baby and we’ve never had an issue getting in or out of the car, there’s enough room for all of us. The baby enjoyed watching the sunroof open. I’ve also had to replace the upper motor mounts. The ones that have the dog bone shape, the rubber dry rotted because it is hot here in Florida. I have brake calipers with 2 pistons from an ex 2007 police car impala. You wouldn’t believe how well and smooth the vehicle stops. Inexpensive to install as well. the little plastic wheels on the window regulator pulley system snapped, $17 to fix and easy to install. Window motors still work.

2005 Monte Carlo supercharged SS. 136,000 miles. 3800 series 2 L67. Only problems so far is the valve cover gaskets leaking. It is slightly inconvenient having to change supercharger oil so often, but it is well worth it. This one takes premium gas so prepare to pay the extra. Blue money (Monte) is my Sunday driver vehicle when I feel like showing off. This car has 17 inch rims so it is a little higher off the ground than the 02, the 02 has aluminum rims and these are steel.

Old 02-11-2021, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Space

Hi `Member's,
How many miles to you have on your Monte Carlo ? (Please post)
What problems have you had with your
Monte Carlo ? Please post
Please contain year & engine
in your post.
Do you do your own work on your
Monte ?
Thank You
When they hit the 160s many things can start happening. I had to totally reseal the motor with oil pan, valve cover and intake gaskets. Soon after a new steering rack and power steering pump, plus hoses. Now I am shopping for struts and will probably need more suspension pieces. Some things I just do because the car is new to me and I don't want to have to worry about them breaking. Also just had the starter go out. Had to replace a few modules under the coil packs, and a downstream CO2 sensor. I have really spent more than I wanted, and now have found out I have some real rust issues. I am thinking of just getting a donor car. Cheaper in the long run.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:45 PM
Default 200,000 plus

My 2003 Jeff Gordon Monte Carlo SS with a 3.8 V-6 has over 200,000 miles on the odometer. My father bought it with about 165,000.

Problems:
Evac System since he bought the car. The dealer told him that was why the "Service Vehicle Soon" light was on. (No OBD codes).
The car has been sitting for most of the last 4-5 years.
I've changed the valve cover, upper intake and Eng. Oil pan gaskets.
I replaced the evac canister, purge valve, pressure sensor, and evac vent valve Mar 10, 2021.

Last edited by RustyRod; 03-10-2021 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by RustyRod
My 2003 Jeff Gordon Monte Carlo SS with a 3.8 V-6 has over 200,000 miles on the odometer. My father bought it with about 165,000.

Problems:
Evac System since he bought the car. The dealer told him that was why the "Service Vehicle Soon" light was on. (No OBD codes).
The car has been sitting for most of the last 4-5 years.
I've changed the valve cover, upper intake and Eng. Oil pan gaskets.
I've got the parts to replace the evac canister, purge valve, pressure sensor, and evac vent valve. The work will be done soon.
I have had EVAC problems before and garages just chase them down one by one. I found out my Chevy dealer uses the smoke test and it can tell exactly which problem it is, and it could be several. The cannister is just one of them. It could even be a gas cap. My car has become a money pit, but I have fixed most of the things wrong with it, but it still has a motor and tranny with 161K miles on it (or more). The title said it was not the right miles. Going to try a Carfax and see what else I can find.

On my donor car the Carfax was crazy. It went from 129K miles in one week to 166K miles, then 169K miles at a Valvoline Oil Change place. Then it went to a place it had been to earlier on the Carfax when it showed the 129K. This time they said it was 136K. Then it went two years with no miles recorded until it was sold to me at 205K. Makes no sense.

Old 03-09-2021, 11:15 PM

GG. I read and read and read on this issue. This site was very helpful in my search for answers. When I pulled off the evac canister vent valve, it was FULL of dirt and charcoal dust. The car spent most of its known life in Aridzona, and my father was not shy about taking it on dirt roads. I found a nicely dented/bent arm on the rear suspension today, its a wonder that it didn't fail!!! Based off the various threads and other info, I just decided to replace all the valves, the tank pressure sensor (date coded 2003) and the evac canister. I'm hoping that the vacuum lines (even though hope is not a course of action) are all still good).

Old 03-10-2021, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by RustyRod
GG. I read and read and read on this issue. This site was very helpful in my search for answers. When I pulled off the evac canister vent valve, it was FULL of dirt and charcoal dust. The car spent most of its known life in Aridzona, and my father was not shy about taking it on dirt roads. I found a nicely dented/bent arm on the rear suspension today, its a wonder that it didn't fail!!! Based off the various threads and other info, I just decided to replace all the valves, the tank pressure sensor (date coded 2003) and the evac canister. I'm hoping that the vacuum lines (even though hope is not a course of action) are all still good).
I had a 2007 Impala and TBH, I rarely had any problems with this car. Sold it with 178K and it's over 200K and going strong. Front wheel bearings were the only thing that ever had to be replaced, and that is normal since they are sealed. Never a rack problem, or having to reseal the engine. In hindsight a 2007 MC would be the most trouble free of the bunch, the but Supercharged version was interesting to me. I don't believe you could get the FE4 suspension either unless it was an LTZ. I looked for one for months but never could find the right one. Then I stumbled across the one I bought. Just hope it stays fixed. Thanks for the info on the EVAC. I am anxious to hear what the dealer says. The only similarity is that both cars have a hesitation problem is you sit too long in gear, like at a light. When you step on the gas the convertor does not lock. Takes a second or two. Once it locks though it shifts perfect. They both did this. If you just stop for a few seconds no problem., Very strange. I change the fluid regularly.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by GrayGhost1951
When you step on the gas the convertor does not lock.
That is how its supposed to work through. The 4t65 converter rarely locks up - only in higher gears with light load. The lockup clutch is very small so the pcm unlocks it for most any notable application of the gas pedal.

It's beneficial to acceleration to have it unlocked through as the extra power at higher rpm more than negates the loss through slip of an unlocked converter.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 03-10-2021 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
That is how its supposed to work through. The 4t65 converter rarely locks up - only in higher gears with light load. The lockup clutch is very small so the pcm unlocks it for most any notable application of the gas pedal.

It's beneficial to acceleration to have it unlocked through as the extra power at higher rpm more than negates the loss through slip of an unlocked converter.
I know how a lock up convertor works. There should not be a two second hesitation when I take off from a stop after a minute, then an instant grab and lurch. It's like a check valve is not holding pressure to the pump.

Old 03-10-2021, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Thomas E Harrison
Hey, I have a 2003 Monte SS Black on Black, ive had it since day 1. it has 110,250 miles on it. I am having an issue with starting, i go to start it i get a clicking noise thinking it may be the starter, but then all the dashboard lights come on and the message center starts circling through its messages: Low Fuel, Security, Low Tire Pressure etc,. Question "Is it my Starter, Alternator or BCM? What should I do?, I do not have a Mechanic I can trust, i've done all the work on the car myself except for the recall on the steering Column Box.

Monte owner
Start with the very simple things. Make sure the connection to the battery is tight. I put a new battery in mine and discovered the negative bolt was rounded off and not making good contact. Cheap fix.

Quick Reply: - How many `miles on your Monte Carlo + Problems ?