General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinion Needed: How can i make my 2005 monte carlo supercharged whine louder?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 04:51 PM
Default How can i make my 2005 monte carlo supercharged whine louder?

I know i can use a SRAI or CAI but which one is the best for my monte? Or what other methods can i use to really make the supercharger whine?

Old 04-09-2017, 05:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Short ram intake will give more whine then a cold air intake. Personally I wouldn't do either of them intakes and I would make a fender well intake instead. It's the best out of them all because it moves the finger out of the engine bay completely.

After that if you want more whine it starts getting more involved and costly. Porting the blower will meet more whine along with plugging the silencer ports in the blower. Dropping pulley sizes will make the blower spin faster and harder which makes more whine. But in order to drop pulley sizes you need other supporting mods and also need to be tuned

Old 04-11-2017, 12:29 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think the more money you drop into your Monte, you are guaranteed to make your wife whine louder...

Old 04-11-2017, 08:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

A Gen V blower is louder than a Gen III...

Old 04-11-2017, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by cromero1320
I know i can use a SRAI or CAI but which one is the best for my monte? Or what other methods can i use to really make the supercharger whine?
Assuming you mean a short ram/hot air intake, that's about the worst you can do from a performance aspect on these cars. Certainly the less restriction before the blower, the more efficient it will be, but having it take in hot air off the exhaust crossover at low speeds and hot fan wash air off a 200 degree radiator while moving certainly negates that.

​​​​​​There are many type of CAI ranging from vendor items to home built setups. They also vary greatly on terms of how well they seal the engine bay heat off. Some setups like the k&n aren't much better than a hot air intake in certain conditions since they don't do a good job sealing off the filter from the engine bay.

You certainly can make a CAI perform well, just look at the factory airbox. Most generally draw air only from a cold source in the fender or behind the headlight but are sealed off everywhere else.

Getting rid of the stock airbox is certainly a major step towards lots more whine. Pulley size also helps, but as mentioned above is very expensive to make a drastic pulley size change.