General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

From the horses mouth.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Default RE: From the horses mouth.

ORIGINAL: Taz

Edit: Never mind. Bill beat me to it.

Nice car Bill!
Congrats on Mitsuby car of the month.
Thanks! Back to the MC. Anyone else want to chime in?

Old 12-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

At first I thought the way the roof line flowed into the trunk lid looked a little goofy. (On the 2000+ Montes) But it kinda grew on me. The Dale Jr. package is what really sold it for me. The car looked cool as hell on the lot. Eventhose who arenot a fan of Dale Earnhardt Jr. find the stripes on the side and the wheels kinda cool. I get a lot of compliments on how nice the car looks. Plus the supercharger really makes a difference. The car is just so comfortable to drive without feeling or looking like a typical grandpa car (Buick LeSabre orMercury Grand Marquisfor example).

Of course Nascar is a huge factor for Monte Carlos from 2000 up. Considering all the signature series editions. (Dale Earnhardt Sr. & Jr., Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon just to name a few). But both fans and non-fans of Nascar are buying them because they like how they look. Which is really a big reason why anybody buys a car. Including yourself. I'm sure you fell in love with your Mitsuby STi, and wouldn't want to get rid of it. Most people here feel the same way. And all the people on other enthusiast forums feel the same about theirs.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:26 PM

Nascar endorsed, sleek looking, woman eye catching, a to b. Very nice.

BTW its not a Mitsuby, its a Subaru. Mitsuby is a forum including Mitsubishi and Subarus

Old 12-07-2007, 09:42 PM

What I'm really asking is are they're really any badass newish MC's? I asked the same question on a Prowler forum and got similar responces. If you take the Prowler for example, it looks like an open wheel racer that would dominate the tracks, but in all reality it has a v6 with like two hundred and something hp. They said that the looks alone where worth the 40K or whatever they paid for them. I've seen quite a few MC's with checkered flag graphics, signatures and the likes but do they excell in any type of motorsports? A boring old V6 Nissan Maxima comes with like 255hp and an exquisite interior and handles quite well for FWD. Whatpulled you towards the MC rather than somethinglike that? Is is it all looks/commercial endorsments? Does anybody auto cross, road course, OVAL TRACK??

Old 12-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ORIGINAL: BillFromTR

BTW its not a Mitsuby, its a Subaru. Mitsuby is a forum including Mitsubishi and Subarus

You're right. Sorry Bill. It's been a long day.

I'd say the only newish factory-built Monte Carlo that's really "bad ***" is the2006 & 2007 MC SS with the V8 engine. Doesn't have any Nascar racing stickers all over it. In fact, the only thing on the outside of the car that would tip you off, is the "SS" badge on the side. The rest of it would look like your ordinary plain-jane MC. But as soon as the engine starts, you know it's not your ordinary MC. I don't own one of those V8 models, so one of them would have to go into detail for you.

Any takers?

Old 12-07-2007, 11:42 PM

I know one thing that pulled me towards the monte over other cars was the price. I got an 03 with 50k miles on it for 9k. Granted the N/A 3800 doesnt put out great numbers, it does give it decent get up and go. I also love the looks of them if they have the right stuff on em. I couldnt be happier with my monte and wouldnt trade it for anything else in its price range.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:56 PM

I chose my monte because I loved my '87 SS, and I needed something with better gas mileage and reliability. I picked my 2000 SSup over the spring for $3200, and I think it was a great deal. Sure, there are many more cars out there that I'd rather have, but for reliability, gas mileage, total cost, and just the fact that it is a chevy makes it the best choice for me.

The 2004/2005 supercharged Monte's were pretty quick, and like Taz said the new '06/'07 SS models run their tails off.

As for handling, I don't actually compete... But I've been known to scare the hell out of a lot of people on interstate on/off ramps. With the exception of the typical FWD push, my monte handles pretty well. There's this one tight 180 degree offramp on Illinois Interstate 255 that has signs posted for 35mph, and I have takenthe wholeturn at70mph. The tires were loudly screaming at me and my buddy in back of me said myright rear tire was off the ground, but it was hella fun.

I also drift my car in empty parking lots sometimes, and it isvery predictable while its sideways. With the e-brake beingfoot controlled it is more difficult than the typical "ricer" hand e-brakes, but I quickly got the hang of it and canroll with the best of them in my city. (I'm sure seeing a 3500+lbs car drifting looks kinda funny though...)

Hope this helps you understand why i chose my Monte.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:59 PM

I get it. They are cheap and dont hold resale value. Gotcha.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:01 AM

haha, I should have mentioned that my $3200car had 160,000 miles when I purchased it.

But on average I would say that they don't hold their value very well.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:05 AM

$3200 eh? Now I def get it. A 92 Honda Civic or a 00 MC with the same miles for about the same price...I'd take the Chevy as well!

Quick Reply: From the horses mouth.