General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

5th Gen ('95-'99): hit a deer

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default hit a deer

So,coming home from work Monday about 6pm I hit a deer in my Monte.Well, the damage is unknown other than a caved in hood and busted headlites as I havent gotten the hood up yet.Any ideas how to get it open? Big channellocks and peel it back? Its dark when I get home now and kinda rainy but gotta fix it as its my only ride right now.
Guess I was kinda lucky as no coolant loss but the fans may not be working.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Muley

Old 11-05-2015, 06:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question

Not sure what it looks like? So this is only a guess. If you get the traditional pop on the release but it still doesn't move. I would use a pry bar to try an open the thing up. If you break something you can usually rope it back down. Also if you can crawl under the front end and see what you can spot with a flash light that may give you a better clue on the damage. You might need to put a wheel up on the curb to get under it and do this too. Don't use any wood under it to make a ramp as it may not be safe.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:37 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hello,Driver#3 Tthe damage is centered between the headlites.Mashed the hood,broken lites, no damage or little damage to the bumper cover. My main concern is if the fans are messed up or not running.Drove it home prolly 5 miles no coolant leaks but the outside temp was pretty chilly. This is 2nd time Ive hit a deer with this car, didnt get it fixed right then,now this. I like this Monte even with 200k miles.I really dont want to put a lot of money in body work just need to drive it for a while longer,maybe thru winter. This has been a great car,and Ive never been deer hunting in my life,I swear. Ill get under it later, raining now.As before,thanks for your reply. Muley

Old 11-06-2015, 10:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Maybe there is a salvage yard close you can get a hood for it. Some Stated if you hit an animal they let you harvest the meat? Now is the time the Deer are out there so be careful for sure.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Be prepared to replace your hood latch too, unless you can un-mangle it.