General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Hight problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Default Hight problems

Will the headlamp relay in my 2004 Monte Carlo keep me from switching from high beams to low beams? I think I hear a click when I pull back on the turn signal arm but it stays in bright mode.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:10 PM

Mine's been doing the same thing, or at least similar.
It'll switch the high beams on no problem, but switching back to low beams takes a few pulls of the switch.
I am convinced that it's the switch itself, and grabbed a used one from morad with the intention of switching it out.
Considering that I mainly drive in the city and use my high beams twice a year or so, it's been way on the back burner.
If you find out that the relay is causing the issue, let me know. Would sure be a helluva lot easier to switch out the relay than it would be to switch out the wiper tree.

-Riggs.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:56 AM

The relay is on the back of the fuse box. I haven't had a chance to check it yet but it's going to be a pain in the butt just to get to it. I will check it out and let you know. Mine was intermittent also and then all of a sudden it quit working and now I am stuck in high beam. I have been driving with my fog lights with the light switch pulled halfway out. I also have been having a problem with my lowbeam lamp sockets getting hot and melting somewhat, I replaced one and it did it again. I don't know if its related or not.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by biggriggs
Mine's been doing the same thing, or at least similar.
It'll switch the high beams on no problem, but switching back to low beams takes a few pulls of the switch.
I am convinced that it's the switch itself, and grabbed a used one from morad with the intention of switching it out.
Considering that I mainly drive in the city and use my high beams twice a year or so, it's been way on the back burner.
If you find out that the relay is causing the issue, let me know. Would sure be a helluva lot easier to switch out the relay than it would be to switch out the wiper tree.

-Riggs.
It is definitly my multi function seitch, got one online for $150.00. Problem solved.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:00 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by kolakoff
It is definitly my multi function seitch, got one online for $150.00. Problem solved.
x2, dont settle on one for that price tho, wait for a cheaper one. can probably get them off a totaled car for like $25 shipped.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
x2, dont settle on one for that price tho, wait for a cheaper one. can probably get them off a totaled car for like $25 shipped.
I already bought and repaired. I didn't want to buy a used one, no warranty. Wasn't hard to change. I didn't have to pull the steering wheel. Took me about an hour and a half. I bought it from 1A auto parts online. It was the best price I could find with a warranty. I read somewheres that there is a ground wire located by the fan shround and it gets corroded and can cause the switch to burn out among other problems. I haven't located it yet but I am looking. All I have too buy now is the headlight buckets. I had to replace the sockets and lamps, they were burnt up. I found the buckets online for $91.00 each. Better then the $335.00 each price tag from the dealer. I can't wait until the headlight problem is behind me. Been a pain in the butt.