General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

high pitch sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 07:46 AM
Default RE: high pitch sound

where is the pcv valve located at on these cars?

Old 05-12-2008, 08:14 AM

It's located on the belt side of the motor at the end of the upper plenum. Take the "Series II" Motor cover off, and look to the left side of the motor, a big sensor should be on top between the bottom right of the alternator and next to the upper plenum.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:09 AM

I still think you should check the serp belt and all of your pulleys to make sure everything is okay....that's just normal maintainence. And MRL is right, the PCV would creat vaccuum.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Default High pitch chirping noise

Thanks for the thread, I would never have guessed it was a result of the PCV valve. The noise appeared after I had changed the PCV valve. There is a TSB on this for a PCV valve kit. The kit has a PCV valve, PCV valve cover, two O-rings and PCV spring.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:18 PM

Actually, that PCV valve is one-way valve with a weight on it.
You shouldn't get a lot of vacuum at idle. If you are, then you likely have a blockage somewhere in the pcv pathway (i.e. a bad pcv valve).

Here is it's designed function....

The PCV valve has three functions:
Limit crankcase vacuum at low throttle possitions when manifold vacuum is
high and crankcase pressure is low
Allow maximum flow at high throttle positions when manifold vacuum is low
and crankcase pressure is high
Act as a check valve in the event of a backfire to prevent gasses in the
crankcase from igniting.

So, if you open your oil cap at idle, you shouldn't get a huge "whoosh" when you open the oil cap. You shouldn't be able to put your hand on there and feel it trying to pull your skin into the valve cover.

If you pulled the PCV valve, it has a little o-ring on it. Did you remember to pull that o-ring off of the old PCV valve and put it on the new one?
If not, that would cause your issue.

I second the suggestion to check the belts.
The sound you are hearing sounds like it is a bad pulley. Doesn't necessarily have to be the alternator pulley, but any pulley could cause that noise if it has a bad bearing or is unevenly worn.
You can take the belt off and try spinning each pulley. I would do that anyways when you change the belt. If your belt has 91k miles on it, then I would definitely recommend spending the $25 on a new one.

-Riggs.