General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): High oil pressure & Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 09:29 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default High oil pressure & Check engine light

Just curious......if the stepper motor is bad in my Oil pressure gauge, and it begins to read really high, will it throw a signal to the car's computer causing the check engine light to come on? Car runs fine, oil level is good. I know the stepper motors are issues with this era car, but wasn't sure if an extremely high oil pressure reading was gauge only specific. If not, what other causes would give me a really high oil pressure reading, causing the check engine light to illuminate? Oil sensor? Oil sending unit? The car is a 2003 Monte SS, 3.8L, all stock with only 80K on the odometer.
TIA,
Gary

Old 03-24-2016, 10:21 AM
Thumbs up Good Luck on a Fix

Hi Gary, sounds like a bad oil sensor ? Your Monte is having the symptoms of what happens. Check back to see what our expert tech member's post when they view your problem.

Good Luck
Below are a few vid's on this topic that you or member's may want to check out...Click on below to view

Old 03-24-2016, 06:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Perhaps the sending unit is bad, but a bad stepper motor will not cause a check engine light. Have the code read and see what it is.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
Perhaps the sending unit is bad, but a bad stepper motor will not cause a check engine light. Have the code read and see what it is.
Yeah....I just wasn't sure if the oil gauge were to peg out, if it would send a signal to the computer. Didn't think it would, but it never hurts to ask. I'm going to get the code read tomorrow and find out what the computer is saying. I'm hoping it's just the oil sensor. If the oil sending unit was going bad, wouldn't it cause a low oil pressure issue, rather than a high pressure issue?

Old 03-26-2016, 04:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

The instrument cluster is nothing more then a display (it takes a data stream of information from the computer and translates that into where the needles should go). So the computer does not care what the needles on the face do.

As far as the condition, when those sensors fail, what happens on the cluster all depends on how they fail. A lot of times when they fail, they also seep or spray oil.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:30 PM

Ok, I just checked the computer and it is posting a P0102 error code and reads "MAF or VAF circuitry input is low". This is my daughters ride (until I get it back), so I hadn't been able to drive it until today. As I drove it into work this morning, the check engine light was on. It was 29° this morning. At lunch, it was mid 50's and when I started it up, the check engine light was off. I got out, double checked the gas cap for tightness, and drove to lunch. Light stayed off. Got into car to drive home, light was back on. Drove it to NAPA and borrowed their reader to get the error code noted above. I noticed that with the car in park, it seems to to have a varying idle between 800 rpm to about 500 rpm, at a pretty regular rhythm. Any thoughts? I was going to take the MAF out, clean it with the proper cleaner, and check disconnect and reconnect all electrical fittings related to it. I'm not sure what the VAF is (Vacuum advance??)? Any input would be appreciated.
TIA,
Gary

Old 03-29-2016, 01:05 AM

The code covers multiple makes/models not just your specific car. What it is saying is the air metering sensor is indicating incorrectly. Your vehicle has a maf=Mass Air Flow sensor. Some cars have a vaf=Vane Air Flow sensor. You do not have a vaf sensor on your car, so that part of the code definition does not apply to you. Your maf is dirty or has failed and will need cleaning or replacement.