General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Help with timing loss

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 07:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Help with timing loss

Ok so I can (finally) reliably measure KR of which I have 0*..

I seem to be losing a ton of timing and cannot figure out why.. At idle 37* is commanded but im only getting 20.5.

WOT 23* is commanded and im getting 10.5...

Again, no KR.. WTF!?! Let me say, a few months ago I was getting exactly what was commanded without any problem..

I have moved my IAT sensor and im certain I have no vacuum leaks anywhere..

But what could moving the IAT sensor do?? Its still in the intake pipe where it belongs.. I have even changed the wires that lead the IAT sensor 3 times which I though would be a long shot and was cause no improvement..

What could cause this??

Another thing, during normal driving like around town and stuff, im getting 37* during normal acceleration, medium to heavy load itll go down to 5*, but WOT still locks at 10.5

Again WTF!?! None of this makes sense..

Last edited by wht02monte; 09-11-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:38 AM

A little bit off topic, but what are you using to measure your KR with? I want to start modding here in a month and would like a forum member's choice.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Do you own tuning software? There are tons of variables at play. Like you said, the IAT table will alter timing, the MAF sensor and amount of air going through will use data to adjust timing. The fueling, and oxygen sensors will use calculations to adjust timing on the go.

It is common for the timing table to command higher than you are getting, because it will depend on other sensors to make the fine tuning adjustments needed to keep the car running efficiently.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:32 PM
10 Year Member

I do have hptuners and I measure KR thru my torque app.. It measures the same as what hptuners says but im not gonna keep a laptop in the car for that you know??

My main concern is that the numbers im getting, are lower than what the were a couple months ago when I was "driving fast"..

What are some of the easiest things I can test or look into to be sure theyre not causing this.. MAF, IAT, o2 sensors.. What else??

Old 09-11-2017, 10:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

As Chibi said, there are tons of things in the PCM that can adjust the actual timing on the fly. There are also tons of things to adjust fueling on the fly. Unfortunately, there is limited resources that explain how some of this ties together. Some of it is trial and error and the other part is learning from the experiences of others.
I have been trying to self-learn the craft of tuning my cars for quite sometime. Getting better at it, but I keep learning more about the science to it. Such as I was running into an issue with my Grand Am where I kept reducing timing to reduce the knock in it, and I was getting some really LOW points in my timing table. I reset my timing table to stock and I am currently playing with the AE and PE tables and trying to learn more about leveraging those to toss in some more fuel to reduce knock and see where that takes me.
Since it's a hobby and I don't have access to a dyno to play with, takes a lot more time goofing around and reading. But it's a fun, would be more fun to see a flow chart of how these tables interact with each other lol.

Originally Posted by HKnux5112
A little bit off topic, but what are you using to measure your KR with? I want to start modding here in a month and would like a forum member's choice.
For a good/cheap solution, I am fond of the Scangauge II. It is flexible in the way that additional read outs and customizations can be programmed into it (I worked with the manufacturer to get a couple I wanted and I have them in a thread in our tech info section). Also, it has a pass-through port, which I have made a custom cable so I can connect my DHP PowrTuner to log data, but have readouts I want within my line of sight (turning to look at readings on my laptop I find dangerous while logging data on the road).