General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

HELP!!! ground issue for amp: humming and whining

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default HELP!!! ground issue for amp: humming and whining

Have a problem with my 2002 monte and i had the same exact problem with my 03 ss. here goes:

i have an after market stereo, speakers amd amps in my car. i have a humming/whining noise ccoming out my 6x9 speakers, which are being powered by an amp. i have had the same exact issue in my 03 ss. i thought it was the amp but this waa actually my second amp i put in, thinking my previos amp with the problem but came to the conclusion that it didnt go away after swapping amps.

I am 100% positive its the ground because I noticed that the trunk is not a good ground for some reason. I had to relocate my ground wire for the radio because the ground for that was not metal: it was aluminum. can anyone tell me the best spot to ground in the trunk? thanks!!

Old 12-09-2017, 08:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I am limited in my knowledge of car audio, but I've heard of issues with "noisy grounds". I recall hearing about ground isolators, wonder if that is a product to look into.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:51 PM

usually ground noise will come in thru the rca inputs.... use high quality shielded cables. also ground all the amps at the "same" point. never run the rca cables next to power or ground wires....cross over them at 45 degree angles

Old 12-10-2017, 08:13 AM

As Sharpeezss stated keep all the grounds together. As for location anywhere you want to drill a hole into the trunk area is fine just make sure that you remove the paint where you are using and electric greases won't hurt either.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member

yes, i have both amps grounded at the same spot. before that. they were grounded seperatly in the trunk. both gave the same result. the noise seems like it has something to do with the rcas. i have heard to seperate rca/component from the power wire but i was too lazy and have everything on one side. my other amp which powers my subs is perfectly fine and they are ran the same way down the side of my car with my power wire, remote wire and two pairs of rcas.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:21 AM

I am wondering on what size amps you are using ? Are they drawing more than power than your altenator is putting out (140 amp) and your battery has in storage ? Guessing the car takes about 40-70 amps to run without turning on the heater/ac or the 60-80 amps it takes when the cooling fans are running . Where did you get power from fuse box ,battery, tap into factory wires ?

Last edited by Jeffs02rwdSS; 12-11-2017 at 08:24 AM. Reason: More info
Old 12-11-2017, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
Old 12-13-2017, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I am limited in my knowledge of car audio, but I've heard of issues with "noisy grounds". I recall hearing about ground isolators, wonder if that is a product to look into.
Originally Posted by Kenny Guido Temprano
Have a problem with my 2002 monte and i had the same exact problem with my 03 ss. here goes:

i have an after market stereo, speakers amd amps in my car. i have a humming/whining noise ccoming out my 6x9 speakers, which are being powered by an amp. i have had the same exact issue in my 03 ss. i thought it was the amp but this waa actually my second amp i put in, thinking my previos amp with the problem but came to the conclusion that it didnt go away after swapping amps.

I am 100% positive its the ground because I noticed that the trunk is not a good ground for some reason. I had to relocate my ground wire for the radio because the ground for that was not metal: it was aluminum. can anyone tell me the best spot to ground in the trunk? thanks!!
. The best Spot to hook up your amp ground is to undo the latch where your trunk latches clean it off and put it back on And put it back on underneath in the same Spot .And I would double check my wiring specially where it splits off into 2 And you really should have a capacitor

Old 12-17-2017, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member

it was doing it when i had the cap on it.