General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

It is with a heavy heart

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default It is with a heavy heart

That I have to announce the nearing of the end of Eleanor. It has been the most amazing chapter in my life car wise, I will never forget her.
I guess I should tell everyone why.

I lifted up my beautiful Z34 into the sky yesterday to change the fuel pump, I always inspect the under-body while shes in the air for rust and broken things I may not notice while driving, upon inspection, I found rust running up the sub-frame and across the entire rear of the car. Usually this doesn't bother me, I just scrape and add rustoleum, but this rust not only was all of the way through the floor pan, but it was cracked all of the way down this trail. no sign of the cancer on the outside, I really just noticed the cracks, thought it was just some paint come loose, then when chipped off, made a hole in the body the size of the chip revealing the bottom of the insulation leading up the waterfall to the back seat. (it was a decently sizable chip just didn't seem as so on the surface)

In the south, we don't think to check vehicles for this sort of thing because (lets face it) cars don't rust here, but I didn't know it was from Indiana until my friend working at a Chevy dealer pulled the carfax. I have been battling the rust for years, replacing seized calipers, rusted fuel and brake lines, even the front and rear strut housings have been replaced due to the steel cancer. I just knew it was a matter of time before it was done. I plan to hang on to her for a little while longer, on a limited driving schedule, hopefully through winter.

So many things I still wanted to experience with her and so many unfulfilled plans and dreams for her. not too sure about parting her out yet, never really have been one to do that as I want the last time I see her to be as she is rather than any less of a woman.

Ill still be around, the car may be gone, but I know none of you are. I just figured I'd give the courtesy to let all of my MCF family know.

Last edited by augi; 10-27-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:56 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I am soooo sorry about your Monte. Hopefully there will be another Monte in your future.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

August that is really sad to read. I know Eleanor has been a special monte for you for many years, a source of pride and enjoyment.

Sadly when a car is a daily driver, the end comes eventually. At least you are seeing the signs and still have some drive time.

As Amy suggested maybe another monte could be in your future.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:45 PM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry to hear about your monte and it coming to an end. Like everyone said maybe another one will be in your future.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:33 AM
Default >Good Luck `Augi<

Hi `Dustin,

Sorry to read about Eleanor
We all fade in Time.
Hopefully in the future you can find a good condition relative of `Eleanor....Wish you the best on your Highways of `Life > Don't 4-get to enjoy the journey.

Yes, when do the good times start ? lol

Last edited by Space; 10-28-2014 at 05:38 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member

Sad story, but maybe the next chapter will be better! I feel your pain though.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:42 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry to hear... Rust often times gets the best of cars

Old 10-28-2014, 12:06 PM
Unhappy Sorry `Dustin (Augi)

Oh `My >

............................`Eleanor, we shall miss you on the MCF

Old 10-28-2014, 03:05 PM

Thank you all for your condolences. my wife has been the only person who realizes that I feel like I'm losing a member of my family.
As for another Monte in my future, I really wish GM would make a new one. I like the 7th gen (revised 6th) would love an SS, but I think I'm going to be going for something with a few more doors, I do want MOAR POWAR, and more gears, but looking into my budget, maybe an SS is right up my alley.

I always hear "take the good with the bad" and I'm trying to find the silver lining, the only lining I can find is that now I can move on to a new chapter in my life without regret.

I agree Jason, I am seeing the signs early and am able to spend that quality time with her until the end, along with being able to really cherish the memories with her until that time comes that we must part ways. I have actually considered building a Plinth at the end of my driveway and mounting Eleanor up there to retire her respectfully, but I would be looked at as the town weirdo because I don't have that kind of house or drive.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Augi,

OH Noooooooo!!!!
That totally sucks!
I was looking forward to us getting together with our 5th Gens...
and sharing in the fact that we are a rare breed of Monte Carlo...

I would however, like to see you at least get another Monte!
(Preferably a 5th gen)...lol

As I especially like the wheels you managed to put under Eleanor!
The ride height as well as the look/stance is killer!

I'm sorry to see you having to give her up.
I also hope that means regardless of what kind of ride you decide to get...
That you will still remain an active member here on the MCF! Your contributions/help have been invaluable! Especially to me and my 5th Gen!
Not to mention you been a long standing member since 2010!

Quick Reply: It is with a heavy heart