General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Got a remote start

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 06:52 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Got a remote start

So I got myself a little Christmas gift -- better late than never right. I called the local Chevrolet dealership to see if they would install it for me or not. Unfortunately they don't do cars that are more than a year old. Damn. However, they gave me the number of the guy that does the installs for them on older vehicles. So I called him and left him a message. Maybe 10 minutes later he calls back and we set up an appt for Wednesday. He came right to my house and installed it, it took about 3 hours. After he was done he ran through it with me and we settled up and he left around 4.

Later I went to the bank and on the way home it tripped my security light. Once I got home I tried it two more times. Tripped both times again. So I called him - mind you it's about 6 at night now. He calls back, he's on his way over from home. He comes over, gets back in the dash and rewired it again in the freezing cold.

In my opinion that's how you should run a business. That's real service. Just thought I'd put it out there since I know there's a few people on here in the NE Ohio area. I got an Avital system installed, you can find him through Pat O'Brien Chevrolet - I went through the Medina one since it's closest. His name is Rick Johnson.

I don't get any referral benefits or anything like that, I just wanted to pass it along to anyone out there locally that might want a nice remote start because this guy was EXCELLENT! He does all models - not just Chevy.

- Mike

Old 12-30-2010, 08:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sound like an awesome tec! I'd say good call on getting someone else to put it in. I've installed a few remote starters - in my LeSabre, Neon, Roadmaster and even in a Cadillac Deville (what a pain in the a$$). The Neon was even a stick. But I won't install these things anymore - especially in the Monte. Too many passive security features to trip you up on newer cars - it seems far too complicated and complications always seem to arise.

Glad its working out for you now!

Old 12-30-2010, 12:42 PM

Cool, I love the remote start I had put in mine just after thanksgiving. Been using it a lot, works great. Once or twice I've seen a light for air bag, not sure if it is related, never happened before, and once my radio went into security mode, but is came back on the next time I started the car, small price to pay for a warm car on those single digit mornings.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

my factory remote is sweet! I hit the buttons about 5 mins before I go out in the morning and it is warmed up and purring like a kitty..

Old 12-31-2010, 09:49 AM

My dad had one put on his '02 LS before Christmas. About $210 installed. It seems to work well. I was impressed how fast they put it on, also 2-3 hours. I like how they work, but I've known people who had problems with them later, so I'm shying away from having one installed on mine.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:56 AM

I have one installed now, but it's starting to annoy me. Sometimes the starter doesn't engage, sometimes it doesn't keep the engine running. I am getting a new one installed on Thursday. It's a Security system with remote start (Code Alarm 6551). It's going to be $375 with installation. Can't wait. Maybe now the "Security" light won't pop on every time I use it, and maybe it will actually start the car this time.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:36 PM

nyislanders, the Code Alarm 6551 was something Santa brought and installed for me this year. Great product highly recommended. decent comp to Viper systems* for a fraction of the cost. No complaints here, get the remote start and security system all in one for a great price.

*general debatable statement, no concrete evidence!