General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

gonna get my tuner from overkill installed..

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Monte of the Month -- October 2013
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default gonna get my tuner from overkill installed..

this week. i sorta hope will disconnected the tire presssure monitor, as i heard he does sometimes. since i got the new rims on the one sensor is bad and now the dam lite is on constantly!

Old 09-04-2012, 02:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Pretty sure it's not legal to get rid of that

Old 09-04-2012, 02:53 PM

I have a overkill pcm and I still get the low tire pressure warning when my tires are low on air.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Monte of the Month -- October 2013
3 Year Member1 Year Member

ok ty guys. gonna pay a mechanic 75 bucks. i dont trust myself to install it.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:00 PM

It's a really straight forward install. You just need to open up the air box - the biggest problem I had was getting the snorkel for the intake back on over the filter box, without popping it off the throttle body first. It just didn't want to slide.

Should take 15 minutes.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:10 AM

I have a cold air intake, took me literally 10 minutes right before work today to unhook the battery, and bolt up the new PCM. Shouldn't be so afraid to work on your car, saves a lot of money.

The tune is great!

Last edited by bizparr; 09-05-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Pretty sure it's not legal to get rid of that
I have no proof to either side of the arguement, but I don't believe you're correct. Its not an emissions device, its more along the lines of a low washer fluid light, where it is precautionary for the driver.

If you have a dealer or mechanic install a PCM be sure to tell them more than once that it is aftermarket, so they don't try to make any changes. Your best bet as stated previously is to install it yourself. Have instructions ready for doing a case learn just incase that's needed.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:22 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

TPMS were a federal mandate. If your vehicle came equipped with the system from the factory then it is illegal to remove or disable it.

Have you tried resetting the system to see if that will prevent the light from coming on?

Installation of the PCM is not a difficult task. If you can change an air filter then you should be able to change the PCM.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
TPMS were a federal mandate. If your vehicle came equipped with the system from the factory then it is illegal to remove or disable it.
Mike's right. TPMS is one of those things that you're stuck with - same with a catalytic converter, for example; in Ohio, once a car is 25 years old, it doesn't need emission tested anymore, but legally I can't remove my cat.

However, I read through the release from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and it even has a section about MIL lights from installing aftermarket wheels and it didn't specify that it was illegal to dump the code to disable the light.

Whole article is here > Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; TPMS; Controls and Displays. Final Rule.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:58 AM

After reading that article, it is federally mandated that they are installed by the dealer after 2005, however removal by the consumer does not appear to carry any consequences. Aftermarket and spares are exempt:
"In the NPRM, the agency also sought to eliminate the concerns of small businesses that make and sell custom wheels and aftermarket rims by proposing to exempt spare tires and aftermarket rims (that do not match the original equipment rims) from the requirements of the standard on a practicability basis."

I thought this bit was interesting also:
"ETV commented that the TPMS safety system should be required to last for the life of the vehicle, which ETV stated is usually about ten years."

Quick Reply: gonna get my tuner from overkill installed..