General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Getting Some Maintenance Done? How much??

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Getting Some Maintenance Done? How much??

According to the nice person at Chevy, who called me to advise me that there are no records to indicate that the Transmission was serviced at 60K, I'm going to have the Tranny serviced "Someplace." What do I ask for in regard to getting the 60K Tranny Flush done. Is there a Filter? Do I have that replaced? Will they hook-up the car to one of those machines that shows you the New Fluid going in and the Old Fluid coming out? Is this something I can do myself and save some coin?

I might have access to a garage with a lift.

I want to to do the Tranny Flush ... I want the Tranny to go long distance without trouble.
I have a Fuel Filter bought it at AutoZone ... looks simple enough ... although I haven't got the book yet (Christmas) ... the one end has a threaded fitting and the opposite side has a Plastic Clip? Is there a lot of pressure on the line? Am I going to get a "Gas-Bath"?

Brakes. I want to use an Ear Syringe and a vinyl tube to suck-out the aged Fluid and then fill the Master with Clean Fluid and Bleed all the Brakes until the New Fluid reaches the Calipers. I never did Anti-Lock Brakes. Is this going to be a "Pump the Pedal slow and release the Fluid at the Bleeder ... or, is there anything that I might effe-up not consulting the Manual first?

This is why I joined-up. I'd really like top hear from the Monte Lovers who have been down the road. Give me your best advice, bearing in mind I don't want to spend any dough doing what I can do myself ... and I can wrench and have all the tools?

Digging my Used Monte!
Looking for advice.
Who's going to set me straight!

Rick Massey

Old 12-13-2007, 01:35 AM
Default RE: Getting Some Maintenance Done? How much??

lol im sure sum1 here will "set you straight" lol welcome to MCF!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:38 AM

The fuel filter is cake to change imho. 30 minutes tops. A tranny flush I've never done, I like the simple, easy pan drop. Drop the pan, let it drain, remove filter, and reassemble in reverse order. You can do this in about an hour. Most places charge close to $100. You can do it for about $35 and some time.

Yes you need to relieve the fuel pressure first before removing the filter or you will get a gas bath.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You release the pressure from the fuel system by pushing in on the Schrader valve located on the front fuel rail. Looks like a tire valve. Put a rag over it and push lightly with a small screwdriver or similar item. Doesn't take much, and not a lot will come out.