General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinion Needed: Getting Parts Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Getting Parts Car

I am working a deal with a guy here in town. He has a 2004 Supercharged SS. It is black with the silver ground effects. It runs, but was t-boned in driver side. It knocked the tranny hard, and is not shifting. I am mainly wanting it for the motor, computer, and wiring harness to build for mine. This will make mine the Supercharged SS that it should have been in the beginning IMO.

They guy is asking 1000 for it with no title. What do you all think is fair. The motor has 230000 on it so I would have to built it before swapping anyway.

I think I can get my money back easy on the deal since I can get about 250 for scrap metal when I am done. What do yall think????

Old 10-27-2015, 09:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

How are you going to get rid of it with no title, scrap metal like you mentioned. Cut it up into pieces, my friend had to do that with an Audi.

I say he is way high on the numbers. The engine has 230,000 on it, then so does everything else, including the S/C. Throw him a $250 number, a junk yard won't even take it with no title, so his hands are tied. Your his only hope oh Obie wan

Old 10-27-2015, 09:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I pondered the thought of doing that in the spring, the car wasn't in an accident and was in fairly decent shape but no title, you can get a title issued but it is quite an ordeal, I looked into it, and like Greg mentioned with no title you can't even sell it to the scrap yard as they won't touch it with a ten foot pole. For what it's worth, the one I was looking at that wasn't in an accident the guy was asking 600 and I know I could have gotten it cheaper as nobody wanted to touch it once there was no title involved in the transaction.

I would see if he will rip out the parts you want and sell them only to you? this way you don't have to deal with trying to get rid of a big piece of metal

Old 10-27-2015, 09:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

No title, no sale. Too many issues with that.
- disposal of the car with no title when you are done with it.
- if there is a theft reported on the vin, not just that car, but cars that used parts from it now have legal issues.
- possible leans on the car.
- if he is not the rightful owner, the real owner could surface.
- name anything bad without a valid title, reason enough to walk away.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:49 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
- if there is a theft reported on the vin, not just that car, but cars that used parts from it now have legal issues.
The Voice of Reason...

Old 10-27-2015, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
Default Seems pretty legit

He seems pretty strait up. He has the registration and his last title. Insurance totaled out when wrecked, but he got to keep it. Probably could get salvage title if needed. He also gave me the vin to have checked before buying. He has a mid 80s and 05 ss as well. I invited iim to join us forum maniacs LOL

Old 10-27-2015, 10:02 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

It's still not worth $1,000, it's about all used up with 230,000 on the odometer, and wrecked to boot.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member

Yeah we are working on that. Looks like it is going to be about 200, but I have to haul away. Not bad aine it has all I need for the change to supercharged. I hope that after I build it the way I want, I can get 300hp. Not 100% sure on that though

Old 10-28-2015, 06:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by wkimes
He seems pretty strait up. He has the registration and his last title. Insurance totaled out when wrecked, but he got to keep it. Probably could get salvage title if needed. He also gave me the vin to have checked before buying. He has a mid 80s and 05 ss as well. I invited iim to join us forum maniacs LOL
If insurance totaled it out and paid him for it, the insurance company then takes possession of the car unless he bought it back from them. If he bought it back, I would assume he should have something stating such, like a salvage title. If so, he should be able to transfer ownership of that title.

I still go back to "no title, no sale".

If you are only after the engine and nothing else in the car, perhaps he keeps the car but you guys pull the engine? Write up a bill of sale for the engine and move on. Leave him with the burden of what to do with the chassis.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:41 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I agree with this 100% you just don't need that headache. Then if you need to have legal fees too, there goes your fun money for your Monte? (just saying?)