General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Future mods looking for advice.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 10:34 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Future mods looking for advice.

So I've been paying a lot of atettion to the truck, not that I mind it at all it just seems I've been focussing all my mod ideas and mod money on the truck. I just kept going and going and its still unfinished. I recently changed my mind about the looks and am thinking of removing the decals and chaning tails and much more. In the middle of thinking I realized the last thing I bought for the Monte was the LED tails and now some jack stands. I had a mod list when I got her and shes come along very slowly. Not that I mind that because I'll have her a very long time and I can only do what money will allow but I'd like to get the ball rolling again. So heres a list of what I realistilly am thinking of doing when money allows.
-Cold Air Intake from Cold Air Inductions
-Tinted windows
-Monte Carlo Knights Crest Decal in rear window
-Highflow Cat
-Some type of muffler? Possibly go cheap and do Cherry Bomb glasspacks
And heres where I need help, after I do these I want to ger a gauge pillar pod. I need to know first of all where to find one and what gauges should I do? The car will be mostly stock with the acception of the exhaust and cold air intake. I was thinking maybe Boost, oil/water/trans temp and a wideband o2? This is the part where I'm stuck, yeah its probably stupid but I am doing it mostly for looks because I love pillar pods and have always wanted one but I'd also like to get some use out of er while I'm at it so any suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Also if theres any other mods you can think of that are simple and not over the top for a summer driver shout em out.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:44 AM

actually thinking about this now lol
Aeroforce - Aeroforce Intercepter Scan Gauge #

Old 11-15-2012, 12:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by BlackRainSS
And heres where I need help, after I do these I want to ger a gauge pillar pod. I need to know first of all where to find one and what gauges should I do? The car will be mostly stock with the acception of the exhaust and cold air intake. I was thinking maybe Boost, oil/water/trans temp and a wideband o2? This is the part where I'm stuck, yeah its probably stupid but I am doing it mostly for looks because I love pillar pods and have always wanted one but I'd also like to get some use out of er while I'm at it so any suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Also if theres any other mods you can think of that are simple and not over the top for a summer driver shout em out.
First, unless you have a turbo or super charger, the boost gauge won't help as it does not apply to a naturally aspirated car.

Second, those gauges are a lot of money for looks (I understand wanting to see more data, I swapped the instrument cluster on my old '94 Grand Am from the basic 3 gauge to the full factory panel). I don't know a lot about a wideband O2, but I don't think you need to mess with that unless you are doing tuning.

There is a lot of data the PCM has and can be read without fancy add-ons. I saw Chibi's car with one of these in it:
ScanGauge II Ultra Compact 3-in-1 Automotive Computer with Customizable Real-Time Fuel Economy Digital Gauges : Amazon.com : Automotive ScanGauge II Ultra Compact 3-in-1 Automotive Computer with Customizable Real-Time Fuel Economy Digital Gauges : Amazon.com : Automotive
Not a gauge pod, but still VERY useful. Reads a lot of ODB-II data.

If I were to mess with gauges, I'd want data that is useful to me not just stuff to make it look neat. So, if you ARE going to put money into gauges, figure out what you think is interesting or worth while to monitor.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:07 PM

Mine is the supercharged car which is why I was thinking a simple boost gauge and then the one from my 2nd post. For the third I was contemplating a trans temp one but I'm not sure. I want something useful yes but I'm not sure if I should be worried too much about the trans temp. The interceptor scan gauge will do everything I want which unless I'm wrong is similar to what you posted?

Old 11-15-2012, 12:08 PM

Old 11-15-2012, 12:09 PM

Sorry forgot to enter text this is the Aeroforce Interceptor which does everything I want it to. Was happy ot see it measure knock retard also. I was thinking this plus a simple trans temp gauge and a boost gauge.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012

Last I knew Justin (01 Monte SS) had a pillar pod for sale. Maybe send him a PM

Old 11-15-2012, 03:01 PM

Sounds cool. I know exhaust is a very old question here on the forum but anyone have anything thats not too spendy and sounds decent? I just threw Cherry Bombs out there as an idea since my buddy has em on his 03 Grand Prix.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by BlackRainSS
The interceptor scan gauge will do everything I want which unless I'm wrong is similar to what you posted?
It looks like it measures the same data (or similiar) as the ScanGauge II. The SGII can show you I believe 4 readouts instead of 2. Chibi velcroed his untop of the steering knucke, easy to see, no big changes to the car and cost less then the unit you're looking at.

Just food for thought.

Also, you are interested to view boost, if your car came from the factory with the SC, doesn't your dash have a boost gauge?

Old 11-16-2012, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
It looks like it measures the same data (or similiar) as the ScanGauge II. The SGII can show you I believe 4 readouts instead of 2. Chibi velcroed his untop of the steering knucke, easy to see, no big changes to the car and cost less then the unit you're looking at.

Just food for thought.

Also, you are interested to view boost, if your car came from the factory with the SC, doesn't your dash have a boost gauge?
It does have the one in the dash I never thought it was very acurate though I was thinking digital would be more acurate. The SGII does sound a lot less costly and displays the same info I'm looking for. Velcros a great Idea I could possibly velcro it to the bottom of the plastic piece below the HVAC. Ideas flowing now lol I have the whole winter to think though. Just filled her with gas once I'm able to move more I'll be putting er on jack stands and throwing in fuel stabilizer and other winterization.

Quick Reply: Future mods looking for advice.