General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Full restoration... HALP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 04:38 AM
Default Full restoration... HALP!

So I've had my beloved '79 Monte Landau for about 5 years now, I'm the 4th owner and it has definately seen better days. What I want to do is start a full restore on it, piece by piece and then start to customize it from there. The biggest problems for me are 1.) finding reliable places to buy OEM parts 2.) I'm not mechanically inclined (well, compared to most motorheads) and 3.) It is my daily driver... I've been thinking about paint and upholstry for starters, followed by some more serious issues like a new radiator (current one has split seam that's been sealed but still leaks) and new oil pan (drain plug over tightened too many times = stripped threads, it's now JB welded in). I would also like to do an engine transplant in the future (far future) but for now would like to just restore the current as much as financially possible. Any tips or advise on how to start would be greatly appreciated. I will be doing all of the work myself as often as possible, but anything that involves the internal workings of the engine are beyond me and unfortunatly will be outsourced. My best resources right now are my handy Haynes manual and past issues of chevy muscle and hot rod magazines donated by my grandfather. Thanks in advance to everyone!

Old 02-12-2009, 12:05 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Full restoration... HALP!

A rolling restoration is just as possible to do as a frame off is. It will just take a little more time cause you still want to be able to drive the car while doing work to it.

Radiator.
I bought a replacement from my NAPA store last srping for my '86 LS Monte. My car was leaking (again) and I got tired ot it. So I had my cousin who works at NAPA get me a replacement. I think I paid $110 for the replacement I have.

You don't have to go high tech right off in this department. You can always upgrade to a Desert Cool, or B-Cool radiator when the funds allow.

The stripped oil pan drain plug.
Do you know they sell drain plugs that are slightly larger then the stock OE (Original Equipment) drain plugs? Next time you do an oil change, and if you have other transportation take the old plug with you to a parts store and ask for a next size up drain plug. Another route you can take is go in and ask for a next size up drain plug plus the size above that one. Buy them both. During the next oil change see which plugs fits the drain hole the best and return the un-used plug you purchased for a refund.

For parts.
Try Mikes Montes or dixie Monte Carlo Depot.
They both should be able to get parts for your car.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Default RE: Full restoration... HALP!

MONEY MONEY MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!