General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

A few words from a "high up" friend at the Oshawa plant...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 01:46 AM
Default RE: A few words from a "high up" friend at the Oshawa plant...

That sucks and I really hope that isn't true. Why can't Chevy axe the Malibu instead? Oh well, at least the Monte Carlo had a good run. Thirty years for a name plate is still pretty good. Some things aren't meant to last I guess, which is why my '76 is going to the grave with me.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:48 AM

For an extra $6-$7K the performance difference in an SS isn't worth it. Plus they get crappy gas mileage. Everyone I've talked to with an SS or a Grand Prix GXP isn't getting anywhere near what they are posted to get. It's just not worth the extra money to me. Besides it's nice to have something that not everyone else will have. Most will buy an SS and they'll be all over. You don't get to see an LTZ very often. And since they have come out I've seen 2 in person. That's right only 2. SS's I can count on both hands and feet.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:38 AM

ORIGINAL: rj
Up till now I've put 150 miles on the car the two weeks I've owned it.
Don't do much driving? I put that on in 3 or 4 days.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:59 AM

It's not worth the $6-$7k premium over an LT3 or LTZ to me. They get crappy gas mileage too. 0-60 they aren't that much faster. Top end yes they are, BUT they should be for a 5.3 V-8. It just wasn't that impressive to make me spend the extra dollars. Plus they are all over. SS's are everywhere. You hardly ever see an LTZ. I can count 2 that I've actually seen in person in '06. SS's I've probably seen literally dozens around. Not knocking them but they aren't nearly that exciting either. Just my .02.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:27 AM

ORIGINAL: cain45

Plus they are all over. SS's are everywhere. You hardly ever see an LTZ. I can count 2 that I've actually seen in person in '06. SS's I've probably seen literally dozens around.

Really, interesting... I've seen a couple ltz's and a couple ls's, not many tho... but I bought my SS back in November 2005 and I STILL haven't seen another SS on the road around where I live and drive... and I drive 70+ miles a day.

and crappy gas mileage?? I think 20-21mpg for a V8 is pretty damn good - and while it may not be as good as your V6, I'll surely beat you to the gas station...

Old 10-20-2006, 10:46 AM

I have a 06 LT3 with the 3.9 engine. I wish I could have afforded
an "SS", but I'm just happy to have what I have.

I drove an 06 SS and it would blow the doors off my LT3[X(], but I think the
power is really decent in the 3.9 V6. From what I could find, the SS is
over a second faster in the 1/4 mile & from 0-60 MPH w/o mods.
How long is a second ? It's a lot in Racing...

In the SS, I could feel the torque steer, but it was controlable. The
chassic dynamic are more firm, but the greatest part I liked was
the sound,[8D]you can't beat the sound of a Chevy V-8.

I envy the owners of the SS, but the price was way to much for me.

I look forward to members who go to the track & post their time slips.
For all Monte's including the 3.5 - 3.9 and the V-8. Members, please go to the track and then post
your speed/times....Thanks[8D]
`Space

p.s. Lewis, your SS is AWESOME : )

Old 10-20-2006, 01:01 PM

Exactly and that's what I'm saying. Normally you'd never notice a second difference UNLESS your racing which I don't. And 20/21 mileage ISN'T what it's supposed to get. Try 19/28 on the sticker. Granted 21 isn't bad but I like my mileage better. I like the SS's don't get me wrong but not for the extra $$ and the lesser mileage it just isn't worth it to me. The absolute best thing about the SS is the exhaust sound when it was idleing. Now that's nice.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:55 PM

I almost forgot about this small fact. I don't like that the EXACT same wheels used on the SS is also used on the Impala SS, Malibu SS, & Cobalt SS. It's a sad day to me when they can get away with using the same wheel on 4 different cars in their lineup. It just makes me not want one. IF I had an SS the first thing I'd do is change out the wheels. Who wants the same wheels that a Cobalt has? Not knocking the Cobalt but it is the entry level vehicle for Chevy. Just seems kinda odd to me.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

FWIW, I already have a true SS in my 1965 Chevelle. I already have a wild V-8 in my 1993 Cadillac that blows doors off of all V-6's. I would have no problem putting it up against the new 5.3. I already have a torquey V-8 in my 5.9 big block Dodge Ram 3500. The LTZ is perfect for this old man at this time of his life. My .02.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:14 PM

We all knew this day would eventually come. Too bad. I think the mcSS is the best looking vehicle chevy has in its lineup!

Quick Reply: A few words from a "high up" friend at the Oshawa plant...