General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

DRL on a 2002 Monte Carlo???

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Default DRL on a 2002 Monte Carlo???

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this site and have been reading a lot as of late, but this is my first posting. I see a lot of different opinions on the " Daytime Running Light " delete per years. My question is about the 2002 Monte Carlo. I just sold my GMC Sierra and bought a very clean Texas Monte, I absolutely hate the DRL's, what is the correct way to shut them down or just delete them?

Thanks

Old 06-17-2013, 06:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i wish i knew how to do this because i have a message that says highbeams out but yet my lowbeams and highbeams stay on at the same time

Old 06-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm not sure if it will help, it works for me cause I work on electronics for a living, I find the Haines manual for the 99 to 05 Monte Carlo wiring diagrams to be Very helpful?

Old 06-17-2013, 08:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I did this on my 2005 monte carlo ss over three years ago ., But I cut the 87 pin off didn't bend it over..

2000 - 2005 Chevrolet Impala. Simply pull the DRL relay out of the fuse block under the hood and bend over pin 87. Why this works: Pins 87 and 30 are the two pins that are connected together when the relay is energized. Bending 87 over will still let the relay energize but since the pin is bent over, the DRL's don't come on. As long as the computer senses the resistance of the relay coil between the two trigger pins (85 and 86) it thinks all is OK and doesn't set any codes. If you bend over either of the trigger pins like suggested for other vehicles, the computer will display "Service Vehicle Soon" in the info center.
Note: probably works for other model years and for Monte Carlo too.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by zjerry
I did this on my 2005 monte carlo ss over three years ago ., But I cut the 87 pin off didn't bend it over..

2000 - 2005 Chevrolet Impala. Simply pull the DRL relay out of the fuse block under the hood and bend over pin 87. Why this works: Pins 87 and 30 are the two pins that are connected together when the relay is energized. Bending 87 over will still let the relay energize but since the pin is bent over, the DRL's don't come on. As long as the computer senses the resistance of the relay coil between the two trigger pins (85 and 86) it thinks all is OK and doesn't set any codes. If you bend over either of the trigger pins like suggested for other vehicles, the computer will display "Service Vehicle Soon" in the info center.
Note: probably works for other model years and for Monte Carlo too.
OK cut the pin off of 87 and get a random ( High Beam Out ) message and the low beams are both on. High beams both work as well. Now for me to put HID'S in this car, how the hell do I get the low beams to shut off?

Old 06-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

Means the DRL system isn't working right, and that's the result. I think the above with pin 87 works only for 2005 model years, as they have a different set up. All the other years im not sure if a solution exists.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Your DRLs are the high beams, so you don't have to worry about them if you run HIDs in your lows.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

What is the condition of your harness, plug and wires? I Had a similar problem when I bought my car. Thought that one of my Hi beam bulbs was bad. Bought a new set and when I went to change them I noticed there was a lot of oxidation on the pins in the plug. So I changed the bulbs and cleaned the plugs for both my Hi and low beams. I haven't had any problems Since. That was just over a yr ago. If the pins look dark or black, they a burned. If they look light green. They have been wet and have oxidized. Both will cause poor current flow and the warning light to come on. I used a Very small flat head jewellers screwdriver to scrape them clean.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

If he followed the post above and cut a pin off the DRL relay, that's why he's getting the highbeam out message and the headlights are coming on

Old 06-19-2013, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
If he followed the post above and cut a pin off the DRL relay, that's why he's getting the highbeam out message and the headlights are coming on
Exactly. Now because of this i need another relay and still have the same problem. Ive been a Gm fan since ive been old enough to drive, but shoving this garbage to us is BS... All the bulbs are good, the light is on because of bad advise... So people if you want the drl disabled, dont just jump and do what others do, do your homework first.

Quick Reply: DRL on a 2002 Monte Carlo???