General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

The Dragon's Tail

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
it would help to know the vehicle but I mean a lot of accidents in the winter happen due to stupid drivers thinking they're better than what they really are. so I think that driving slow is the safest way regardless of how you know the vehicle, if that makes sense.

when you put it like that it makes sense, driving something you know compared to something you don't, i understand that fully.

you couldn't get it to lose traction in the snow?
Yeah I didn't get that either, unless that engine is seriously lacing in horsepower. I could do donuts all day long when I had the blazer.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:23 PM

Keep in mind, the blazer is a small SUV. It weighs less than a full size car like a Crown Vic (those type cars typically weigh around 4,000 lbs and the curb weight of the S10 style Blazer is 3800 lbs). My suburban is much larger and weighs a bit shy of 5,000 lbs I believe (with the way I have it set up, well over 5,000 because of the gear I keep in it). It also comes from the factory with much larger (and taller) tires. Also wider, much much longer wheelbase, and much more weight on the rear wheels. It's an EXTREMELY stable vehicle too, even at high speeds. But that works well for me, because it's an ideal vehicle to have in terrible driving conditions.

True, the TBI V8 isn't the most powerful, but it still puts out a decent amount of torque (a tad over 300)

Old 02-07-2012, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by SupplySgt
Keep in mind, the blazer is a small SUV. It weighs less than a full size car like a Crown Vic (those type cars typically weigh around 4,000 lbs and the curb weight of the S10 style Blazer is 3800 lbs). My suburban is much larger and weighs a bit shy of 5,000 lbs I believe (with the way I have it set up, well over 5,000 because of the gear I keep in it). It also comes from the factory with much larger (and taller) tires. Also wider, much much longer wheelbase, and much more weight on the rear wheels. It's an EXTREMELY stable vehicle too, even at high speeds. But that works well for me, because it's an ideal vehicle to have in terrible driving conditions.

True, the TBI V8 isn't the most powerful, but it still puts out a decent amount of torque (a tad over 300)
Actually my ZR-2 had a curb weight of 3200 lbs. 100 less than my monte carlo :P

Old 02-08-2012, 06:25 AM

Oh dang I didn't realize the ZR-2 was that light. So my truck the way I have it set up is nearly 2,000 pounds heavier, probably right at or slightly over with a full tank of fuel.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by SupplySgt
Oh dang I didn't realize the ZR-2 was that light. So my truck the way I have it set up is nearly 2,000 pounds heavier, probably right at or slightly over with a full tank of fuel.
Yeah, it was light but still not fast even with the hp and torque it had, I just didn't understand it. It might have something to do with the fact that it's about as aerodynamic as a cat litter box is...

Old 02-09-2012, 06:08 AM

Syracuse, NY, USA. I primarily have driven a 93 Chevy Silverado 1/2-ton 2WD pick-'em-up every winter since purchase., ... with NOTHING in the bed for weight. NO traction control, just anti-lock on the front discs, & a 'lil over 335hp. Just my all-seasons on the front, & some snow/muds on the raer on 8" rims. Give me that OVER just about ANY FWD out there ... It is what I was raised driving, it is what I know best in incliment whether.

Since purchase = brand new in summer of 1992. Reymore Chevrolet. =) (82,000 miles, & counting ...) Cannot wait to put the Crager SS's back on it!

Last edited by Zeke; 02-09-2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:06 AM

My Burb is the same year as your truck. but mine has 250k miles now and I'm just now replacing the transmission LOL. Can't wait to have it back.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:19 PM

Don't drive the Dragon with your car @ all. There is a car week for that..
and Yes! Don't meet a semi truck (GPS makes this look ok for trucks NOT) on anything there, you will DIE! No Lie!
I drive a Harley Tour Glide and it was sweet.
If you must: get 5-6 cars take turns use radios fist aid kid lots of bandages and be ready with a tow truck. some of the bikes are small but will tear you car up bad. Mostly you will just get side swiped.
Take a close look at the Tree with all the parts hanging on it. There is a very nice place to take a picture with the dragon billboard. Very cool.
Remember you may the best driver on earth! The other guy may not have a clue. So please use team work.
It is one of the best roads around here to ride.
Call in advance to see when car weeks are then you will have a way better time.
accommodations are good there too it reminds me of a carnival.
Be safe peace out.