General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Downpipe or Top Swap first?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Downpipe or Top Swap first?

I'm in a little dillema here. The problem is, with my next paycheck, I'll have enough to afford the 2.5" ZZP Downpipe with cat, BUT I'm trying to save up for an L67 top swap. The problem is, the downpipe is going to be done eventually, but I'm not sure if I should get the top swap parts, then get it. Or if I should get the downpipe, install it, then buy the top swap.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Tyler

Old 03-29-2011, 08:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think you need to buy all the KR Reducing mods first that will transfer to the new engine easily. There's a good chance you would have a huge amount of KR on the stock pulley, so you might as well start with a downpipe.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey Chibi, you are more knowledgable then I on the subject.... Since my00monte's ultimate plan is to do an L67 top swap, might he be better going with a 3" down pipe? As I understand the rest of the factory exhaust is 2.5" inches across, but having the 3" inch downpipe upgrade would set him up for future exhaust enhancements.

Or am I running in the wrong direction on this topic?

Old 03-29-2011, 09:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Hey Chibi, you are more knowledgable then I on the subject.... Since my00monte's ultimate plan is to do an L67 top swap, might he be better going with a 3" down pipe? As I understand the rest of the factory exhaust is 2.5" inches across, but having the 3" inch downpipe upgrade would set him up for future exhaust enhancements.

Or am I running in the wrong direction on this topic?
you're in the right direction, the 3" is better for supercharged.

As for the original poster, I think you need to seriously sit down and write down everything that you've said you're going to do to your car. I've seen quite a bit of threads from you with questions on various things, which is no problem at all, but it seems like an endless pit of i want to do this but no this sounds better wait this does now.

That's all fine tho, I've been in the same situation, I just wrote down what I wanted to do and numbered them and got them done.

I think for you, the top swap is a great place to start so you can do modifications around it instead of doing all modifications and then having to alter them around the top swap.

I hope you don't take this wrongly, that's just how I had to do it and it seems like you may be in a similar situation as I was.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member

Don't do the d/p at all, and here's why. With a top swap you're going to need to have some KR reducing mods just to run the stock size pulley. One of the mods that you absolutely should do is a set of headers, and headers already come with a d/p.

So if you get any exhaust mod before the top swap, get headers. Do NOT get a d/p.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by zipper
Don't do the d/p at all, and here's why. With a top swap you're going to need to have some KR reducing mods just to run the stock size pulley. One of the mods that you absolutely should do is a set of headers, and headers already come with a d/p.

So if you get any exhaust mod before the top swap, get headers. Do NOT get a d/p.
was just going to post this, headers are getting pretty cheap now

Old 03-29-2011, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member

Chibi: What kindof KR reducing mods are you talking about? And what exactly is KR?

Trewyn: I do have ALOT of things I want to do, but then again, who doesnt? Lol I have everything written down, but it's a pretty long list. Everything from tinting my windows, to a full top swap is on there. I just hope that someday I'm completely content with just a few mods. Within the past year or so, I've become almost obssessed with cars, not specifically Monte Carlos, but all cars in general. I find myself on the highway checking out cars, and some cool things they may have done to them.

Zipper: I was actually looking at headers before I found the cheaper alternative, the downpipe. What headers do you recommend?

Thanks!
Tyler

Old 03-29-2011, 06:46 PM

KR is Knock Reduction with a top swap you are putting a super charged on a higher compression lower end and you will have spark knock, the computor will dump the timing and your car wont be any faster

Old 03-29-2011, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member

So what kindof things have to be in place to make that number lower?

Old 03-29-2011, 07:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

i'm not supercharged so im not exactly sure, but stuff like headers, intake higher octane fuel, bigger injectors and stuff like that lowers KR.

Quick Reply: Downpipe or Top Swap first?