General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Do you have a dash cam?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 10:45 PM
1 Year Member
Default Do you have a dash cam?

I purchased a $50 dash cam a few months back. It's insane how much stuff you can see or get into while driving normally. You get to watch it all in replay or have proof of you not being at fault in a collision.

I almost got my fender crushed by an old lady. Luckily the part that made contact with my monte bounced off the tire. No marks or broken clips inside. Just threw my phone out of my cup holder.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:41 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have a dash cam, it is amazing how many things you catch. I usually just catch idiots being idiots diving in and out of traffic or cutting me off.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm interested in maybe getting one. Those of you with cam setups should post what you have

Old 02-27-2015, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member

I bought mine a few years ago and i could use an upgrade, i bought a newer one to use in a 2nd car but i managed to lose it in the airport somehow, but anyway heres a link to what i got, and the 2nd link is a very useful comparison tool

https://dashcamtalk.com/dvr-207/

https://dashcamtalk.com/

Old 02-27-2015, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Beater Monte
I purchased a $50 dash cam a few months back. It's insane how much stuff you can see or get into while driving normally. You get to watch it all in replay or have proof of you not being at fault in a collision.

Hi Beater Monte,
What type of cam did U get for $50 ? It takes good pictures.
How did it hook up ? I'm afraid 'if I had one the police would use it against me for running idiots 'off the roads > LOL

Thanks for posting/sharing

Old 02-27-2015, 10:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I'm interested in maybe getting one. Those of you with cam setups should post what you have

E-Prance Mini0801 with GPS. Cost 80 on Amazon.

It hides behind the ham radio speaker, power cord is tucked in the headliner and snaked down the A-pillar where I have one of those tripe lighter sockets zip tied to the dash support behind the end-cover. Power comes off the RAP fuse in the kick panel so it comes on when the ignition is on.

Uses a micro sd card, records clips and comes with simple software that plays the files and overlays GPS data over a Google map.

I have had hit or miss luck with editing clips so they come out clear on Youtube.

Here's a near sideswipe:

I've had it installed for a year now. It's only fail is that I can't run video and audio or it stalls when the SD card fills up. If I lower the video quality or record just video in 720 HD it will record constantly, overwriting the oldest clip. 32G SD card lasts two days, that's 140 miles of commuting.

Would not buy again due to the recording issue. But otherwise it's been reliable, is easy to detach from it's base/power and is small.

I keep meaning to do a post about the install.

The Barovelli dash camera playlist (Youtube) https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...FAjs-iOcs4y9yK

Last edited by Barovelli; 02-27-2015 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:09 AM

I have a regular old camcorder that I mount on my dash when I'm storm chasing. Since I usually have my laptop with me on a chase, I just have it record to that. I might buy another external HD just to record that though. That probably won't happen until after the Spring though.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:13 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by BeachBumMike

Hi Beater Monte,
What type of cam did U get for $50 ? It takes good pictures.
How did it hook up ? I'm afraid 'if I had one the police would use it against me for running idiots 'off the roads > LOL

Thanks for posting/sharing
It's a Black Box G1W-CB. I got it on amazon back when they had a small discount on it, runs at $65 normally I think. Installation was a snap, just used a trim tool to tuck the power wire (which is the same as a phone charger cable) and ran it from behind the rear view mirror to the driver side A pillar, behind the door, behind the pedals, and to the charger. It's really no maintenance. Just set it to 1080 with a 32gb SD card and turn looping on for every 10 minutes. You never have to erase anything. If something happens just hit record to stop recording and take the SD out.

Unfortunately with dash cams like this that use the charger port, you have to plug it in every time you get in and out since chevy charger ports are always on. Don't want to drain your battery.

Name:  5aHiMv6.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  794.0 KB

Old 03-01-2015, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member

^ thats the only annoying thing having to remember to plug in and plug the camera.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:20 PM

I bought this model about a year ago.

HDE 1080P HD Dual Lens Dashboard CAR DVR Dash CAM AND Rear View Camera Accident | eBay

I like it. It's small and does not obstruct view. It has a rear view cam too. From the outside, it is barely visible except for the white double sided tape holding the rear view cam but I will change it for a black double sided tape.

Only thing I don't like about it is it has a HOLD button on the top that you press when you want to keep a clip. But it will keep the next 30 seconds after you pressed it. What you want is the previous 30 seconds. So you have to remember to copy the content of the 32g micro sd card to your computer regularly because the clips you want to keep will be overwritten after only couple of days, and I drive only about an hour a day.

Attached Thumbnails Do you have a dash cam?-dsc_0010s.jpg   Do you have a dash cam?-dsc_0008s.jpg   Do you have a dash cam?-dsc_0011s.jpg   Do you have a dash cam?-dsc_0012s.jpg  

Quick Reply: Do you have a dash cam?