General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Dirty feet/socks odor in 06 Monte Carlo LS

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Dirty feet/socks odor in 06 Monte Carlo LS

I bought a used 2006 Monte Carlo LS 1 year ago. 36k miles. It was a rental car prior. It was from a reputable dealer, the car had been detailed, the carpets had a plastic film on them that said "To be removed by dealer only" but I peeled them off by hand because they hadn't done so at delivery.

Regardless, for the better 8 or 9 months (summer and winter) there has been a foot or sock type odor in the car. While off and while running. I've read possible causes of this can be improper A/C drainage or mold in the ventilation system, or mold/mildew in the carpeting.

The thing is, If the A/C or heat is on, the odor is not noticeable, but once I turn the heat or A/C off the odor returns immediately, even with the windows open.

Any insight?

Old 08-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

this doesnt sound like it but i would check the air filter first, the cabin air filter that is

Old 08-08-2011, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
this doesnt sound like it but i would check the air filter first, the cabin air filter that is
I replaced it very recently (less than 2 months) the odor did not change. Also, the instructions in the package for the cabin air filter simply said to ensure the arrow was going in the direction of airflow, which I assumed was down. But the instructions I found on eHow specifically for the 06 Monte said to ensure the arrow was pointing up. Was that correct?

Also, the odor is present regardless of if the car is running or even in motion, and is immensely less noticable when the A/C or heat is on.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Have you checked your feet/socks....sorry I couldnt resist. I wonder if the carpet padding got wet and wasn't dried out properly.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member

Will a routine carpet shampooing help in this case? If the padding underneath is moldy would I have to get it replaced?

Old 08-08-2011, 06:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I don't know but google found me this. Ive never tried it but maybe it would work. Amazon.com: Clean Air Kit: Automotive

Old 08-08-2011, 06:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Old 08-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

Originally Posted by grizzlyaddams
Will a routine carpet shampooing help in this case? If the padding underneath is moldy would I have to get it replaced?
if the ppl who extracted it prior didnt get the carpet dried completely it can cause odors. It happens when the car was shut all the way up when the carpet is still wet.

Smell the carpet and see if it is strong down there. then you may want to pull up the passenger side and see if the pad is wet. if so you have to replace the pad and clean the carpets

Zeo trap doesnt work. i got some awhile back just for the hell of it. In order to get smells out of a car you have to pinpoint the cause or it will just keep coming back up

Old 08-08-2011, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member

I did a more thorough sniff test. Here is what I have found:

Upon rolling down the windows, if you smell the weather stripping in the bottom opening where the glass recesses, it smells like BO, both sides.

The passenger side front floor is damp, but only in an 18" diameter spot closer to the seat. It had a rubber floor mat on top of it and both that spot on the carpet and the adjoining spot on the floor mat smell quite badly, like urine almost.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would take the door panels off and make sure the foam inside isn't moldy.

Also I would definitely pull the carpet back and take a look at the foam. You can just go to Home Depot and buy new foam, like what they use under rugs in a house. Cut out the old and place in the new

Quick Reply: Dirty feet/socks odor in 06 Monte Carlo LS