General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Difficulty of the top swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 03:42 PM
DTG
Question Difficulty of the top swap?

so I just got a call from a buddy of mine, a 2001 GTP just came in where he works and I could get the supercharger off it for 40 bucks, however, im not certain what all I would need to pull out of the car for it, and or how difficult it would be to swap into my 2001 monte ss. any advice or pointers would be apprecaited.

Thanks

Old 01-07-2012, 04:04 PM

The work itself isn't that hard at all. If you can use a wrench and have some mechanical ability its fairly easy work. The trouble comes with the little problems that come up after the work is done. I am still chasing a fueling issue on my Monte that I did a top swap on this spring.

Other than the supercharger you need the everything from the heads up and the crank pulley. You'll also need a colder tstat, colder heat range plugs,cold air intake, and I highly recommend some exhaust work. Headers would be idea, but a down pipe to get rid of the u-bend at minimum.

You should also get a scan gauge because you will have knock on a 3.8 pulley if the engine is stock. I have 1.9 rockers, header/downpipe and I still have a little knock.

Do some searches on the different 3800 forums and you'll get all the info you need. Do a lot of research before you begin

Old 01-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You'll also need the tensioner assembly and coil pack bracket, as well as what was already stated.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:32 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Not to metion a lot of wiring differences, but don't ask me. A few members on here who haven't done one will be glad to explain how easy it is, and how the extra compression somehow helps on a boosted motor.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Extra compression helps because you can do more mods and run smaller pulleys on the supercharger before it maxes out. As previously stated, it's not hard work, and if you have any questions I will be glad to help. Taking apart your current top end I've never done, but as far as putting together an L67 top end, I GOT YOU.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Enzo354
Not to metion a lot of wiring differences, but don't ask me. A few members on here who haven't done one will be glad to explain how easy it is, and how the extra compression somehow helps on a boosted motor.
Hahahaha!

It'll help blow up his engine! Remember to go to at least a 4in. pulley with a 9.4 L36. If you want to go a bit lower on the compression I got a .072 in. standard bore Cosmetic Multi Layer gasket that will bring it down to 9.2-9.1, that should help a bit.

Last edited by Wilco; 01-07-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:08 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
Extra compression helps because you can do more mods and run smaller pulleys on the supercharger before it maxes out. As previously stated, it's not hard work, and if you have any questions I will be glad to help. Taking apart your current top end I've never done, but as far as putting together an L67 top end, I GOT YOU.
I'm trying to figure out why that makes a difference, maxing out the supercharger. If you are maxing it out, which is pretty difficult to do, we're talking 2.7 and smaller pulleys, you need a LOT of supporting mods. Its difficult to build the motor to handle a smaller pulley then that without having to worry about knock issues. If you are trying to make that much HP from a 3800, your best bet is a turbo at that point.

Also, on the easy part, yes the initial putting it all together is easy, but sourcing all of the parts, finding out you need a minor thing changes, altering the wiring harness, reprogramming everything, only to have a motor that isn't terribly reliable is a HORRIBLE waste of time, money and effort. Taking apart an l67, and putting it back together as an l67 is a different story then taking apart an l36, in an l36, and putting it back together as an l67. Not only is the tuning a royal pain, but if you didn't do something perfect if can have horrible results.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by Enzo354
I'm trying to figure out why that makes a difference, maxing out the supercharger. If you are maxing it out, which is pretty difficult to do, we're talking 2.7 and smaller pulleys, you need a LOT of supporting mods. Its difficult to build the motor to handle a smaller pulley then that without having to worry about knock issues. If you are trying to make that much HP from a 3800, your best bet is a turbo at that point.

Also, on the easy part, yes the initial putting it all together is easy, but sourcing all of the parts, finding out you need a minor thing changes, altering the wiring harness, reprogramming everything, only to have a motor that isn't terribly reliable is a HORRIBLE waste of time, money and effort. Taking apart an l67, and putting it back together as an l67 is a different story then taking apart an l36, in an l36, and putting it back together as an l67. Not only is the tuning a royal pain, but if you didn't do something perfect if can have horrible results.
X2 I agree.
It would be a lot of work but yet a huge reward if done right. The smallest thing wrong could cause a LOT of trouble. Only way I'll have a top swap done is by having someone such as ZZP, etc. do it all for me. Even then there's still the possibility of finding out you need something additional or something isn't working out. I'm sure you can do it but it will definitely take a while to get everything right.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:39 PM

Swapping PCM's or going up pulley wise isn't enough for a SC swap. The FI are different, their connectors are different, even their TB's are different. ZZP sells a kit, the M90, that would simplify the swap but it'd still be a pita. The increase in compression alone is reason enough to worry about piston busting KR. Unless the swapper knows what he/she's doing I would recommend staying away from doing it, or let someone with the know how do it instead.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:02 AM

so what you guys are saying is NO dont do it go and get the engine tranny ,computer and harness ad then ONLY THEN WOULD IT BE GOOD TO DO .....ALSO TURBO IS THE WAY TO GO