General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Decrease Vehicle Weight

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 07:39 AM
Default Decrease Vehicle Weight

Does anybody know a site or can list some ways to decrease the weight of the vehicle. Specifically for the 2000+ Monte Carlo orjust ageneral idea would help.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:57 AM
Default RE: Decrease Vehicle Weight

[align=center]Hi Andrew, [/align][align=center]Auto Diet [:-][/align][align=center]1.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]2. Gut interior[/align][align=center]3. Lighter Rims[/align][align=center]4. Remove A/C unit[/align][align=center]5. Remove Radio[/align][align=center]6. Remove Spare & Tools[/align][align=center]& replace with Flat Tire Fix[/align][align=center]7. Don't carry or dateheavy g/friends[/align][align=center]8. Remove Power Window Motors and Replace w/cranks[/align][align=center]9. Put in light weight rac'in seats[/align][align=center]10. Run less then a 1/4 tank of fuel.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Why do U want 2 do this ?[/align][align=center][/align]

Old 06-01-2007, 08:06 AM

[align=center]Vehicle mass and size[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I don't know ifBIGGER is better, but I know that bigger is safer. `Space[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][]My g/f says "Size does matter" [/align][align=center]Introduction
Since the early 1970s, research established that drivers of larger, heavier cars have lower risks in crashes than drivers of smaller, lighter cars. - The effects are large and have been examined in detail in many studies. Examining effects in increasing detail has added to knowledge on a number of broad safety questions. This is why we devote this complete chapter to how vehicle mass and size affect safety. Although mathematical details are given for some topics, it is not necessary to follow the mathematics to grasp the main ideas and their applicability to other safety matters.
Vehicle factors
The term vehicle factors refers to physical attributes of a vehicle that affect risks. The term is most often applied to factors that influence risk to occupants when crashes occur, but may also refer to factors that affect the risk of crashing, such as the presence of antilock brakes or the height of the vehicle's center of gravity. The overriding concept is a difference in outcomes related to vehicle attributes if all other factors, especially driver behavior, are the same. This chapter focuses mainly on how driver risk is affected by the mass and size of vehicles, given that a crash occurs.
It is difficult to determine how any individual factor influences traffic safety because nearly all factors occur in the presence of other factors that have important effects on outcomes. This is particularly so in the case of vehicle factors, because the crash experience of a particular set of vehicles is so intertwined with use and driver behavior factors. Any particular vehicle factor is likely to attract purchasers with driver characteristics different from those who purchase other vehicles. Sporty vehicles attract different drivers than more narrowly utilitarian vehicles. In real-world crashes, all other things are never equal, and indeed are often far from equal. Effects that might seem due to vehicle factors are often enormously confounded by driver characteristics and use patterns.
Deaths per million registered cars does not measure vehicle factors
Figure 4-1 shows that the number of driver deaths per million registered cars trends lower with increasing mass. Much clearer than the dependence on mass is the dependence on the number of doors. There is no reason why adding doors to a car should substantially affect occupant protection. This effect is due not to the addition of the doors, but because the life-style and risk-taking characteristics of drivers who choose two-door cars differ in so many ways from those choosing four-door cars. These effects are far larger than explainable in terms of differences in the distributions of age and gender associated with drivers of the different car types.
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][:-]Click below link 4 more [:-][/align][align=center]http://www.scienceservingsociety.com/ts/text/ch04.htm[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align]

Old 06-01-2007, 08:24 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i thought these car's already were pretty light

Old 06-01-2007, 08:25 AM

[align=center] [/align][align=center]Drive Sensibly[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Aggressive driving (speeding, rapid acceleration and braking) wastes gas. It can lower your gas mileage by 33 percent at highway speeds and by 5 percent around town. Sensible driving is also safer for you and others, so you may save more than gas money.[/align][align=center]
Fuel Economy Benefit:
[/align]
[align=center]5-33%[/align][align=center]
Equivalent Gasoline Savings:
[/align]
[align=center]$0.16-$1.06/gallon[/align][align=center]
Observe the Speed Limit
[/align][align=center]While each vehicle reaches its optimal fuel economy at a different speed (or range of speeds), gas mileage usually decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph.
As a rule of thumb, you can assume that each 5 mph you drive over 60 mph is like paying an additional $0.20 per gallon for gas.
Observing the speed limit is also safer.

Fuel Economy Benefit:
[/align]
[align=center]7-23%[/align][align=center]
Equivalent Gasoline Savings:
[/align]
[align=center]$0.23-$0.74/gallon[/align][align=center]
Remove Excess Weight
[/align][align=center]Avoid keeping unnecessary items in your vehicle, especially heavy ones. An extra 100 pounds in your vehicle could reduce your MPG by up to 2%. The reduction is based on the percentage of extra weight relative to the vehicle's weight and affects smaller vehicles more than larger ones.[/align][align=center]

Fuel Economy Benefit:
[/align]
[align=center]1-2%/100 lbs[/align][align=center]
Equivalent Gasoline Savings:[/align][align=center]$0.03-$0.08/gallon [/align][align=center]Avoid Excessive Idling[/align][align=center]Idling gets 0 miles per gallon. Cars with larger engines typically waste more gas at idle than do cars with smaller engines.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Use Cruise Control[/align][align=center]Using cruise control on the highway helps you maintain a constant speed and, in most cases, will save gas.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Use Overdrive Gears [/align][align=center]When you use overdrive gearing, your car's engine speed goes down. This saves gas and reduces engine wear. [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Note: Cost savings are based on an assumed fuel price of $3.22/gallon.[/align]

Old 06-01-2007, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member

well for me trying to decrease vehicle weight...i think i would just have to go on a diet !! lol

Old 06-01-2007, 09:05 AM

can't use Fix-A-Flat (flat tire fix) on TPMS-equippedcars... the sensors are in the valve stems and the fix-a-flat gunk totally hoses them, and you'll end up having to buy new ones.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:09 AM

my reasoning behind it is I figured lighter the car the faster it can. More importantly less weight less engine has to work to move thecar =more fuel economy.
I'm looking into carbon fiber hood
Removingthe backseat
Spare tire also gone
Any other Major heavy things that can be replaced or removed?

For the ones who might have noticed and want to say something along the line of "if your worried about fuel economy why get a supercharged car" Because I like to go fast just not all the time and I'm not crazy about fuel economy but everyif theres a way to increase fuel economy without decreasing performance why not do it.Best of both worlds.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:24 AM

Hey Andrew, your ride -your dime : )
Thanks for your post & explaining why you want to lose weight
I'ts yours & it's still a free country......Go fast....Go...Safe...EnJoy = = = =
`space

Old 06-02-2007, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member

good luck in finding a carbon fibre hood....that will be hard...you may have to have it custom made from a company that does carbon fibre....there aren't many hoods to choose from for our car...i think there's only 2...the stock one and the ram air hood from mpd..

Quick Reply: Decrease Vehicle Weight