General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinion Needed: decision time for my monte

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 09:01 PM

It actually can be from a repeated neighbor complaints that's just annoying the cops to the point of them telling you to do that just to stop that annoying *** neighbor from making these senseless calls.

But of cops come to my house and tell me what they told you, I'll just hand them my lawyer business card and tell them you do that and you guys will know each other so well you'll both know their wives birthdays

Last edited by Habbibie; 10-09-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:25 PM

As long as the vehicle is respectable looking I believe the law is it has to be legally registered. If you need to buy time to clean out your garage I would just get inexpensive insurance to get plates and if they come by again say you are driving it now. I would not get rid of it on behalf of a disgruntled neighbor or the police.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:59 AM

similar law here in Florida, you cannot have a unregistered, uninsured vehicle parked. if you have ins, and a valid tag and its not in pieces or on blocks etc you can have it there! or put it in your backyard!!lol

Old 10-11-2015, 09:17 AM

Obviously it's hard to quantify sentimental value, but looking at it from a logical perspective - what is keeping it from running? How long has it sat for? Is the stuff in the garage that would have to go more or less valuable than the car?

I'm just thinking if it's not running because it's had a dead battery for the last month and the stuff in the garage is junk you were planning to get rid of anyways, then it sounds like an obvious keeper.

On the other hand, if it had an engine bay fire, has been sitting 5 years, and you've got something of value in the garage, then it's time to let it go.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's a bs "law" because from the mailbox back is your property so I can't understand how that's "illegal". Keep the car and mod it or at least get it running. It's not worth selling as it may be in good shape and low mileage, however the sale value is horrible for these cars. You have had it for a while just keep it unless your starving for 3500$. To me even if you get 5000$ for the car it's not worth it if it holds sentimental value to you. But definitely look up the laws and see if that's legit. Keep the car

Old 10-12-2015, 04:49 AM

If it's on the street here, it's the same law. Can't do anything if it's on the drive way. I'd keep it personally. And I would just junk it either. You can probably sell it to someone if you really want to get rid of it.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:53 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I know we have a similar law for a car not registered. Just get it registered and put the cheapest isurance on it. Then they couldn't say anything since it is technically legal. With those miles I would think you could get it running at least even if it is not the best. Like everyone said, it is really up to you for that one if it means a lot to you.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:24 AM

Suppoko,
Personally I would keep it. No one is of the right in this free country to tell you to move your vehicle off your own property. I could understand if you rented an apartment, because you signed something that stated you will follow guidelines... same if you have a HOA in your area.
But it doesnt make any sense for them to tow a car on your property whether it is registered or insured.
Thats like saying they will take your home away because you havent insured it.
Sure they can take it away for not paying the usage tax (property tax), but here you arent using the car for anything. So you shouldnt have to register it or pay usage on it. If you have it on the road, thats a different story.

I would contact an attorney personally.
In little things like this, I usually just use AVVO to get some quick free ten second local legal advice.

Hope this helps.

(btw, this is coming from someone who has an auto transport in front of their house... half on the road, half on my property... and no sheriffs have told me to move it)

Old 10-20-2015, 10:31 AM

Tough call but if ya don't need it why keep it? The 2000 Monte could easily be traded for a supercharged 3800 or LS4 if you want performance lol

As far as the cops go, I think that's pretty ridiculous. Here, as long as registration is up to date you're fine.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by S.O.G.
Tough call but if ya don't need it why keep it? The 2000 Monte could easily be traded for a supercharged 3800 or LS4 if you want performance lol

As far as the cops go, I think that's pretty ridiculous. Here, as long as registration is up to date you're fine.
Toys!!!
Take it from someone who has plenty
Plus sometimes you just need something to work on.
And other times you just wanna see if you can do it.

Either way I think the big thing is "Da Man" telling you what you can and cant do. I am all for our ability to keep things under control, such as the government attempts to do, but sometimes its a little retarded (look at Obamacare... well thats alot retarded).