General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Daytime running lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 09:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by zjerry
Thank you i was going to search for that, i am going to try to disiable the ones on the intrigue becuase they are the inner blinker buld and it just keeps eating them... i am lucky if they last more than a month

Old 10-01-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by KJRich
These guys really hate 'em:

Association of Drivers Against Daytime Running Lights

The fogs on my '90 Daytona are effectively DRL's now. I hated how you couldn't turn the fog lights on with the parking lights on this car (gotta look cool in the parking lots at dusk, you know ). They came on with low beam, and low beam ONLY. Originally I was going to run them to their own separate switch, but then I just wired them to come on with the ignition. Honestly I couldn't find a spot I liked for the switch. I still may add a switch later though, unsure.
Dang, I didn't realize that there was a big group of people that hated DRLs.. I always thought that they were an unnecessary load on the electrical system my self.. During the summer for example, there's 2 spots that I want to have lots of power- the engine cooling fans and the A/C blower. DRLs aren't needed, even on big rigs or bright yellow school buses for example.. You can still see (and hear) them. What's worse is on those types of vehicles, they aren't running DRLs, they're running the actual headlights, which of course are brighter.. Now fog lights on the other hand, do actually help when it's foggy..

I never ran the actual headlights during the day or have DRLs on my old car either. Of course, I don't think DRLs were around in 1982.. Or ABS, traction control, fuel injection (except Cadillac and a few other automakers), TPMS, Air Bags, Fog Lights on Domestic cars, or any other "safety" items.

I do miss having a real bumper. My old car had the "5 MPH" bumper that pushed in on impact. I could pull it back out with the tire iron and it would not be damaged! With the Monte, the bumper can take quite a bit, but I still would have to get it repainted..

Old 10-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm not so much against DRL's as i am the auto light system on my 5th gen. The fact that there is no way to turn off the lights without restarting the car with the e brake on drives me insane. Though the DRl's annoy me too cause the headlights are always on, no running with just parking lights. I was told by someone you can (5th gen) pull the DRL fuse to disable drl and auto lights. I havent tried this yet though

Old 10-01-2011, 08:19 PM

im gonna do what JG did and just put the bulb behind the bumper. i hate DRLs.. when i had headlight covers it almost eliminated the purpose cause the light just lit up the covers.. they are pointless in my oppinion. im gonna see a big car before i notice a little light..

Old 10-02-2011, 01:22 AM

i like the way the orange ones look. i guess it would suck having to change them all the time. lol.

im deff gonna do whatever it is that you do to make the high beams and the low beams stay on at the same time.

much brighter that way, and i can see further:p

Old 10-02-2011, 02:08 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Put a cover over my day/night sensor and run HIDs all day/night. Done it for a few months now, through the heat of summer, no issues. Like a boss.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:49 AM

Thank you for for all of the advice. For now, I'll go with covering the sensor. I've never liked DRL's. I want to turn on my own lights when and in the combination I choose. Plus, I think DRL's do a huge disservice to motorcycle riders.