General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Damage aluminum engine cradel by jacking??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Default RE: Damage aluminum engine cradel by jacking??

ORIGINAL: 24_48Fan

So is this the correct position to lift the car from to an oil change then?
Yes, but you don't want to use the jack as the only thing holding the car up. ALWAYS use jackstands. See the pics below for the correct place to jack up you car.

The pic above shows the spot on the cradle you should jack the car up at. I am pointed at the front left side of the cradle, close up so you can see exactly where to place the jack.

Here's a nice shot showing jack placement, with my wheels off the ground as well.

Here's a close up of the same shot

Hope that helps

Old 03-09-2007, 01:40 AM

Looks good. Thanks. I had previously used that side but in the center on the left side ofcradle more towards the rear.. I will try your location from now on. I was leary so close to the welding points.

Thanks again.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:25 AM

Yes you can....NOW what I do is put a small piece of 2x4 wood between the jack and the cradle just so as to not scratch it. Just in case later I decide to sell it and someone looks under it and asks what the scratches are from....but that's just me and being **** with the car.....or so my GF states. LOL

Old 03-09-2007, 05:14 AM
5 Year Member1 Year Member

Thaks for the pics. that is indeed where i was going to lift, then stopped. But yes, I would also support with jack stands, especially if I'm going under the car. I remove the metelcastle like gripping wheel from my jackto have a nice straight surface to lift from. The aluminum should be strong our wheels are made of it, drive shafts, heads, stearing knuckles, etc, etc.

Mr. 960

Old 03-09-2007, 07:36 AM

EXACTLY

Old 03-09-2007, 02:39 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yes you can....NOW what I do is put a small piece of 2x4 wood between the jack and the cradle just so as to not scratch it.

I do the same. I also use the legs from jeans I've made in to cut offs. I fold the jeans leg a couple of times and throw it on top of the floor jack cradle.

This way I don't scratch metal or paint while jacking. [sm=smiley20.gif]

To get a little more ****............ I take old work gloves and lay them on the cradle of my jack stands. [sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 03-10-2007, 02:03 AM

Rj you sound like me....I'm always being told for being too **** for the underbody of the car. I wipe off any oil that may splatter wherever too. I feel it just makes it look nicer and "cleaner" underneath.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:48 AM
rj
15 Year Member

My $0.02 worth on this James is I don't care if other people like it or not. It's my car, I'll do what I want.

My sisters and friends used to rib me bad cause I'd keep my bike clean when I was a kid. Whenever I'd ride it, I'd wipe it down when I got home.

When I got my first car I wouldn't let people eat or drink in it. The one time I let slide, a girlfriend's sister spilled pop all over the back seat. I didn't think it'd go over big if I put my hands around her neck but I was pissed!!!!!

Up till I got hit head on in 2000 I always kept my cars clean. Winter/summer/spring/fall it didn't matter. I'd be out washingmy '86 Monte in january by hand.

My mother had given me hard time for years cause she said it wasn't fair my cars were always clean and their's weren't.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:59 AM

Not fair? They know where that hose & bucket is right? LOL I'm totally with you. Heck I've already detailed mine & got the front mask back on it while it's sitting in the garage.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:08 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Whenever my parents were trading a car in I always got the tap on the shoulder from my father wanting me to clean their car for them.

I thought about opening a detailing shop for years but never did.

Quick Reply: Damage aluminum engine cradel by jacking??