General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Damage aluminum engine cradel by jacking??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Damage aluminum engine cradel by jacking??

Hello, I was looking where to lift my V8 06 Monte from the front for my first oil change. I started to lift it from the aluminum cradel, near where the A-arm bolts up to by the sway bar bushings. I thought it might be bending so I stopped, and lifted it from where theMonte's emergencyjack is supposed to go. Is the aluminum frame strong enough? It looks beefy - but I don't want to take a chance!

thanks!
mr. 960

Old 03-01-2007, 03:22 AM
Default RE: Damage aluminum engine cradel by jacking??

i've lifted my '00 by the front of the cradle, but then youre still gunnu want to set it down on jack stands, and then the jacks in the way there anyways.

personally if i'm changin oil (without a lift) i prefer using ramps.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i personally woudn't jack it from that, because if it is dented or damaged its irreplacable...you can't put another one in there if its the same thing i'm talking about it...jack it up from the frame

Old 03-01-2007, 04:00 PM

I have lifted it from the engine cradle near the A arm in the middle position from front to backas it was looked at and suggested by my brother who is a mechanic. I have done this twice for oil changes. Ramps require a second person and run the risk for overshooting the ramp. Otherwise raise the car by the frame on the unibody by the door? Mine is a 3.5 '06 LS. I was wondering about this my self. I would prefer to avoid ramps.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:25 PM

The engine cradle should be fine. If you are still uncertain, jack it up by where the subframe (engine cradle) bolts to the body and set the jack stand under the control arm.

Ramps don't require two people. Just put the ramps right up to your tires so you know you are lined up and then drive on up.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:39 AM

Looked at the cradle tonight and looks good.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:20 AM

The engine cradle is made of high strength aluminum. It's stronger than steel but lighter for weight savings. So YES you can jack from the cradle and YES if you were to damage the cradle it CAN be replaced, at substantial cost of course.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:09 AM

no harm will be done jacking it up at the cradle. Matter of fact, it's so strong that you can put the jack the middle and get the whole front end off the ground so you can get your jackstands under there.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:13 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It may sink in a little if weight is left on it for any length of time but it should be fine.

Steel will sink in too from being lifted at one point.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:30 PM

So is this the correct position to lift the car from to an oil change then?

Quick Reply: Damage aluminum engine cradel by jacking??