General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Daily driver or Sunday driver?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Taz
Mine is a daily driver for now. I wish I could afford to have a second car to have as my daily driver. So I could keep my Monte for a Sunday driver. But that's not in the cards right now.
Ditto what Taz said.
Most of my miles are put on just going back and forth to work... about 50 miles round-trip 4x/week.

Problems I've had with my Monte (potential problems for any other 2006 Montes with the 3.9L engine):
- thumping in the steering column
- bad tire sensor
- coolant leak due to bad cylinder head gaskets
- power steering fluid leak due to ruptured return line
- oil leak due to bad lower intake manifold gasket

All of these problems happened with between 28K and 55K miles on the car.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Seasonally (Apr-Nov) my '04 is my daily driver, but weather permitting, I do not drive to work. I rollerblade instead. So the car does not get driven daily. It currently has 62,000 kms on it. I add maybe 10,000 a year - probably less this year. Its stored indoors through the harsh Canadian winters

Old 08-09-2009, 07:57 PM

You know that ours is a daily.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:29 PM

Daily, only three years old and I'm closing in on 75k miles.

So far I've had the TPMS/Remote antenna deal problem, blew a power steering line, and I think those are the only major problems, I do have an oil leak that I'll have to get looked at but it's not bad enough to leave any spots on the ground yet.

Oh, and I'm getting a service traction control message whenever I rev up the car in any gear other than drive and then the shift points and clutch don't agree with each other but that clears when I shut the car off.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member

so, i'm guessing i'll be having some of the same issues soon with my monte 3LT? i have just under 49,000 miles so i hope nothing major to soon! thanks for clueing me in on things to come God_Bot! see ya

Old 09-01-2009, 11:22 PM

My car has had minor problems so far. 63,000 miles, bought it with 54,000. Had to get the wheel bearing replaced in the first week, but it was under warranty so no sweat. Since then the lights on the climate control have gone out, the windshield wipers clunk when they go back down, and I think it might be leaking something, but those spots might be from my old car that I junked before I got this one. xD All in all my car has been very reliable, I hope it stays that way.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:13 AM

daily. the way i drive though, it should be hourly! have 69xxx miles and have had bad tire sensor, tranny lines leak, coolant leak, rear defrost doesnt work and neither does my driver side heated seat. now my trans is starting to slip, not bad but i get a quick snap every once in a while when not noticing it didnt catch into gear. i now know to never use my 2nd and 3rd as a downshift

Old 09-04-2009, 11:15 AM

Bought my '04 back in May and it is my daily driver. Between work and school, about 300 miles a week and getting about 29-30 mpg driving the posted speed limit.

My gauge cluster went crazy a month after I got it, but I got another on Ebay and had it upgraded by BBengineer.com. Also, about once a week, my starter makes some "clackety" noise.

No problems for me so far in 4 months and about 7,000 miles.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:20 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by sonin66
daily. the way i drive though, it should be hourly! have 69xxx miles and have had bad tire sensor, tranny lines leak, coolant leak, rear defrost doesnt work and neither does my driver side heated seat. now my trans is starting to slip, not bad but i get a quick snap every once in a while when not noticing it didnt catch into gear. i now know to never use my 2nd and 3rd as a downshift
Sounds like someone is a little hard on their car.

Quick Reply: Daily driver or Sunday driver?