General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Cracked Sideskirt & Front Lip

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Cracked Sideskirt & Front Lip

So I noticed my sideskirt is cracked and so is the front lip under the bumper. Tried doing some research on how to repair it but have been told twice that because it's plastic, the no repairing rather just replacing with new parts. Sideskirt I found for 200. Front lip 500! That's insane there must be a more affordable way? Didn't have time for the front lip pic but got the sideskirt...

Attached Thumbnails Cracked Sideskirt & Front Lip-20160324_173246.jpg  
Old 05-28-2016, 10:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Can't say I've had any success with plastic repair... Bondo could do the trick very temporarily...maybe fiberglass could work? Or check junkyards and other lip kits I would say.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have never done it, but possibly plastic welding. Or off to the junk yard searches.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:48 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Tough call.
The corner of that side skirt is subject to stress more than a flat surface and a repair is more likely to crack. As a plumber I have formal training and experience with plastic welding and have to say it takes a lot of practice to get it right. It's a real trick to get the hot air temperature just right for proper flow and not have the rod stick or melt a hole through the material or distort it. The technique is kinda' opposite of welding with steel. With plastic welding you push the rod into the material instead of dragging it. Pretty sure those side skirts are polyurethane or ABS and plastic welding is usually done with PVC. Might be a challenge to find a place that rents the equipment too. Pretty spendy to buy. You make want to ask a plastic fabrication company about it. Where I live there's a company called "Tap Plastics". There might be something similar near you.

Here's their website:
http://www.tapplastics.com/

Last edited by plumbob; 05-29-2016 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:12 AM

Plastic can definitely be welded, but it depends what type of plastic as to if it is possible and if so, what method is used. I had some cracks on the front bumper of my gp welded, and it looks completely stock from the outside, and has held up to being parked outside in 100+ degree heat.

IMO this isn't something I'd try and DIY. It takes some experience to know how to work with the different plastic types, plus you'd have to buy the welder too. For two small projects like that, I'd just google plastic welding places nearby and take it to them for an estimate.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:19 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I got lucky a couple weeks ago and had a friend pick me up some new side skirts and a new rear spoiler and new power mirrors from a wrecker for a grand total of $100 for all of them, my side skirt did the exact same thing last month when the tire blew out on me

Old 06-01-2016, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I found a video on YouTube I'm thinking about trying. Looks like bondo might be the way to go? Just doubt it'll hold longer than a few months if done properly...at this point I'm willing to try anything before dropping 500 on a dang lip.

Took the car to a couple local welders both said it won't work. I've got one more guy I can maybe try otherwise I have a new project...

Old 06-03-2016, 08:52 AM

I wouldn't waste your time with bondo. As soon as it flexes at all, it's going to crack again. You need to somehow stiffen/reinforce it to minimize flex in that corner before you bondo the outside. I'm thinking either fiberglass reinforcement on the backside or they've got some heavy duty bondo called kitty hair which has long reinforcement strands in it.

You'll still need a lightweight filler on the front side to be able to fill and sand, but you won't need hardly any.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

If you are going to go the bondo method, I would first put a series of small holes in each side and then find something you can tie them together with (think of scars on Frankenstein) and then I would use fiberglass instead of bondo, problem being is this method may make the lip "stand out" where it was patched,