General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Car not starting..

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 11:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Car not starting..

For the purpose of the topic lets just say its my Monte.. Its my bonneville but same l67 and same 4t65ehd trans..

Wont start, wont hold a charge it seems.. Just clicks when I try to jump it..

Any ideas? What are some steps to go about diagnosing this?

When im trying to jump it, voltage is at 14. I can let it stay hooked up to the jumpers with the other car running, and even after a half hour I unhook it and its dead.

I can take a wrench to the alternator and everything in the belt train will spin without much effort.. I was thinking the AC compressor was froze but it seems not..

Took about 3 hours yesterday cleaning the ground cable cause it was nasty, ended up making a new ground location, redoing the ground terminal.. Positive is clean..

What else can I do?

Another thing to think about.. Leading up to this "only clicking" it would gradually be more difficult to "jump".. At first I could just jump it, then I would need to leave it hooked up to the jump car, then after a while I had to leave it hooked up for 10 minutes, then rev the sht outta the other car to get it to start.. Now just clicking..

I hope this is enough info.

Think its just a bad starter?? Cant do the old tap it with a hammer trick.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:39 PM

From what is sounds like it sounds like a DEAD Battery. I mean very dead. If you can't charge it and then jump and start. First thing I would do is change out battery. Now it could be that now the whole issue that you were having with this has now caused your starter to go bad. I have heard of such things.

IF new battery and it dies and car won't start then there is a Very HIGH current draw from the car that is killing the battery. Most times it is shorted amp or radio and at times even some type of lights that can't be seen if working in the middle of day hard to see lights are on. Could be brake lights there are loads of things it could be and hard to say without the car in front of me... There are some ideas. Hope something was useful

James

Old 06-19-2017, 08:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile X 2 on the DEAD Battery

X 2 on the DEAD Battery I have had them go out like that, or the Alternator goes bad and will kill a battery. If the starter is bad they usually don't click it is just silent.
These Cars will draw enough to keep all the stuff going in the onboard computer and other systems.
Good try with the Ground Cable that will usually be a factor. once you clean them up you should be good to go.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Definitely check out that battery.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

So guys, you think a simple battery change might fix this?? Even tho I had it hooked up to a running car? The battery seemed just as dead the last 5-6 times I jumped it and it started right up.. Im optimistic and would love for this to be this easy but double check what I wrote and get back to me before I go out today and buy one..

Def, thanks for the help..

Old 06-22-2017, 08:43 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yes, I have experienced it firsthand on cars and lawn mowers. The vast majority of the time it's a faulty battery.