General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

7th Gen ('06-'07): CAI installed

Old 01-30-2016, 04:14 PM
Default CAI installed

CAI installed.

Bought it off of Boomer.

Couple of things I did extra

1) Pulled as much of the wiring into the CAI box and also zip tied the wires away from the sharp edges

2) took rubber fuel line and made a guard around the edge of the hole where the filter sticks through as there was a sharp edge and for my 3.9L there is a "tight" fit and vibration would have worn a hole in the silicone/rubber neck of the filter

3) for the a/c line at the front of the car (rad) took rubber fuel line and wrapped that line & sip tied because the line was up against the CAI box and if I didn't I am sure the line would have popped a hole.

Haven't driven it yet (ran it to make sure no miss from plug change) but will see when I head back to work tomorrow (4 hour trip)

I also did a plug change (did not ratchet the motor forward) and also cleaned the MAF sensor so maybe this all will be like a tune up.

The only thing I do not like are the four twist locks on the lid they are pretty flimsy and one stripped on me. Will have to get a body clip and a bolt so it will be secure and the gap at the front of say 1/2 inch but that is the way it bolted in.

Car was running fine and other than the CAI the plugs & MAF sensor clean are preventative maintenance.

Name:  z7wP9mB.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  1,018.4 KB

Last edited by montedd; 01-30-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Nice! looks great!

Old 01-31-2016, 08:29 AM

Had it out last night for a quick trip to Walmart.

It is louder I can already notice that. Not sure if any power picked up but will see today.

Since this car is my daily driver and the CAI was a good price (thank you Boomer) I thought I would try out the CAI and see not only for a bit of added pep but see if I can get even better fuel mileage for when gas goes back up as we all know gas is going to go back up.

I have to be careful and not get the performance bug with my six cylinder as this is for the Camaro.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:28 PM

Four hour trip.

A lot louder.

Hard to tell if any performance gains.

Drove pretty fast from house, three stops computer says 77 mph avg. Speed and similar fuel mileage.

Maybe a bit more pep not really sure.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Looks Nice..

Old 03-04-2016, 02:38 AM

Looks good. Keep us posted if you experience any power or mpg gain.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:50 PM

I think I lost mpg.

Feels like a bit peppier but my butt is not a dyno.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by montedd
I think I lost mpg.

Feels like a bit peppier but my butt is not a dyno.
A lot louder.

Hard to tell if any performance gains.

Hi Ted, it should be better performing (looks good & I'm sure it sounds good). You should or would get better MPG's, but it's to difficult for must enthusiast driver's to not kick it down & hear the wonderful sounds of POWER

EnJoy the Super Sounds of fresh air sucking your fuel into your 3.8L Thanks for posting/sharing

Search this Thread