General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Byebye power steering!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Default Byebye power steering!

So I have no power steering in my car now, no clue why lol. I can drive with it w/e, I just have to put force into the wheel. It's wierd, you can feel the car more doing it yourself. I don't really have a problem driving like that, but I'm wondering if it's something I should get checked out. Any other Montes ever have a problem like this. (I don't think it's out of fluid, it just happened all the sudden. I'll have to check that tomorrow during the day.)

EDIT: Just checked fluid, plenty in there .

Old 02-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Default RE: Byebye power steering!

i have a 2004 and i was doing burnouts around corners and mine went out. i got it home and notice fluid leaking but my resivoir had fluild to the mark. i couldn't figure it out till i started it and notice my pulley to the power steering pump was hanging off. i snapped the shaft right out of it. i bought a new one and installed myself for 200$.(considering i had to rent a power steering pulley puller). only took me couple hours but i took my time and read my haynes manual closely.so mabey you can check the shaft to your pump if not it could be a pressure line or fluid line leak check all lines. thats the cheapest route.then id look at the rack and pinion (steering column,steering gear or boots)hopefully not that. its more expensive.Also you could check your tie-rods. hope this can give you somekind of assistance in narrowing the problem down.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:00 PM

Thanks alot lol. That's same situation with me to be honest. So I guess that could be it. Thanks alot for that, it probably is something similar to the problem you had!

Old 02-12-2008, 12:22 AM

hopefully you get it fixed and not keep driving it so you don't ruin something else

Old 02-12-2008, 06:12 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

yeah, that system is built to have the power steering... I'd think you are hurting it by turning it the hard way for awhile... not to mention your wearing yourself out.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:00 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

No fun w/o power steering. Maybe the pump went out?
We had an old GMC truckthat the power steering would come and go. You might be turning a corner and it go away or turning a corner and not have it and it come back. Kept ya on your toes for sure, LOL.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:24 PM

Yeah, I'll have to get it checked out soon. I could do without it, but 3800 and cowboy put it right. Hate to break something else because of it.