General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): To Buy or Not To Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 09:14 PM
Default To Buy or Not To Buy?

Hello fellow Monte Carlo fans!

I'm David, from North Canton, Ohio.

I really love the 70-72 Montes, but price wise, they're not feasible.

So, I stumble across a 1-owner, 84k miles, redddd, '02 SS Monte.

Price,.... she said 3500,...then..said best she'd do is 3300 once i started noticing imperfections.

The good:
Original red paint, with the exception of the front fender was painted 10 years ago.
The line between the fender and hood is perfect, can't tell at all it was painted.
Here in Ohio, a non rusty, original paint 13 year old car isn't easy to find.
Haven't ran a carfax to see if it shows up, but I'm gonna.

86k miles, hard to find that!

She still has the original window sticker.
It's a really nice car in and out.
Plus, it's red!

The bad:
Looking up into inside of the rear bumper, the frame of it is rusting.

The air bag light is ON, she says due to that fender.

The Check Engine Light is on, she says due to a catalytic converter being replaced with a non-factory one.

I want the car 'cuz it's a nice 86k, 1 owner,...did I mention it's red?

Dont wanna spend a grand on a check engine light, an airbag light and a rear bumper frame though, plus other unseen things. We all know there will be.

I have the cash for it,....but I dont wanna be in it for 4300, or more, after repairs.

Haven't had a car in 8 years,...just a work van and a Ranger truck.
Time for a cool car again, and soon!

Thoughts? Ideas?
All much appreciated!

Last edited by JohnnyCarlo; 09-01-2015 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:28 PM

I posted this question, by accident, in the member introduction section.
I got this response:

Well make sure its not an actual failing cat converter, some shops can read the air bag code and see the real hidden story behind it, 3rd it's a 13yo car rust on a frame is common and no reason to repair it unless it's rotten through. 86k is considered a low miles car, how's the transmission on it?

My best suggestion is if you really are considering the car take it to a reputable shop have them do a full inspection plus read the airbag & engine lights, run a carfax to see if mileage is true. If all checks out then not a penny over $2600 (in the real world this car doesn't sell for over 3k) the owner will be listing that car for a year at 3500... No one will take the bait at that. The average price for a regular SS or LS is $2000

Old 08-30-2015, 09:31 PM

The rust on the frame (of the rear bumper) was rusting through, not just surface rust.

How do I check the transmission? Drive up a hill and see how it shifts?
As well as on a flat road.

2600 bucks? for a 1 owner.....86k...red monte ss?
Everything I see under 3 grand is no good. 180k or dents.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:30 PM

Well that's odd that the car has a rusty frame but the body panels don't.

Test the trans, drive it around slow and fast and see/feel how it shift... Smooth, rough, any jerking, how is the shift between first and second gears feel like.

And yes 2600 for it, 2800 and anything above is just pushing it. Montes with 180k or dents list for 2000 but what do they sell for? Those beaters go for $500-1300. Don't forget it's a 13 year old domestic commonly produced car, it's nothing rare or special, heck it doesn't even fall in the category of a sports car nor luxury.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:41 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool

I would agree with everyone, When you check that transmission also check the dip stick on it to see what color the fluid is. Red is the best if it's a Brownish color it needs to be changed. It will shift better with new fluid in it.
Also you may want to check to see how the tires are wearing that can indicate balance and alignment needs
If you can check Craigslist to see what these Cars are listing for.
Ebay sometimes what they are selling for too. Good luck!
Make sure the title is clear also.
Red cars are kool too!!
I had a lady friend thought bought an Impala SS, she bought it cause it was (RED) Then she tells me the gas mileage isn't very good, she remembered mine was doing mid 30's. But the SS was more of a performance car. RED was her motivation but it's still my fault.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by johnnycarlo
I posted this question, by accident, in the member introduction section.
I got this response:

Well make sure its not an actual failing cat converter, some shops can read the air bag code and see the real hidden story behind it, 3rd it's a 13yo car rust on a frame is common and no reason to repair it unless it's rotten through. 86k is considered a low miles car, how's the transmission on it?

My best suggestion is if you really are considering the car take it to a reputable shop have them do a full inspection plus read the airbag & engine lights, run a carfax to see if mileage is true. If all checks out then not a penny over $2600 (in the real world this car doesn't sell for over 3k) the owner will be listing that car for a year at 3500... No one will take the bait at that. The average price for a regular SS or LS is $2000

In my world, there are no 1 owner, under 100k, year 2000 and up Montes for 2 grand.

Last edited by JohnnyCarlo; 08-31-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:47 AM

That's a sweet car #3!

Old 08-31-2015, 09:49 AM

I'm all over Craigslist.
Under 3 grand with under 100k isn't out there.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Habbibie
Well that's odd that the car has a rusty frame but the body panels don't.

Not the car's frame, the frame of the bumper.
I guess from junk, snow, salt, getting up in there.

In Ohio,...on a quiet night,...you can hear the cars rustin' away.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:08 AM

Well man it's your money,only you decide how to spend it. Just saying I wouldn't ditch out that much for the car you described. Good luck none the less