General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Building home-made CAI and need help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Exclamation Building home-made CAI and need help...

My brother, who has ZERO technical or mechanical ability has decided to put together his own CAI to put on his 2005 SS/SC.

So he was getting ideas from watching youtube videos, and learning how to put them together, most notably this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJZTVwWI310

Well if you watch the video and skip to the 3:25 mark, the car owner mentions putting the loose air intake sensor in a breather-filter thing to simulate it being in the intake tube.

We tried that and bought the same breather, but the g-d damn sensor wont fit into that small breather.

Considering we dont feel like drilling a hole into the new and nice polished tubing to put the sensor in... what can we try next?

How important is that temp sensor anyway?

Any and all ideas and advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 07-05-2010, 09:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

That temperature sensor is very important. It is partly responsible for telling the PCM how much fuel to supply. If you put it somewhere that is warmer than the air coming in, it will run too lean. If you put it somewhere that is cooler, it will run too rich. It needs to be in the ACTUAL air flow going through the intake, not just near its air source. Find a rubber grommet the right size to put the temp sensor into and then drill a hole in the intake tube the right size for the grommet. Install the grommet into the tube and then the sensor into the grommet. If you are going to do something, do it the correct way, dont just half-*** it together.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:35 PM

Matt, I completely agree with you about doin it half-***.

My dumb *** 18 yo brother thinks everything is just so easy and things can get done in minutes.

Thnx for the advice.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:44 PM

Somthing to consider, if you dont wanna drill into that clean metal is, leave about a 3/4" gap between two of the intake pipes, so you could make the hole in the coupler. IDK if that sounds appealing to you, but it was somthing I had considered doing when I was making mine> Also, I have some pics in my profile of my CAI. I know you have the supercharged, but you can still get an idea from them?

Old 07-06-2010, 06:46 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by jeffsmonte
Matt, I completely agree with you about doin it half-***.

My dumb *** 18 yo brother thinks everything is just so easy and things can get done in minutes.

Thnx for the advice.

No problem. I think he will be happier with the results this way then just hanging it in the fender well.