General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Bought a lemon Monte

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Bought a lemon Monte

Hi gang,
I've been on these message boards for awhile checking out posts about their monte since I knew I was going to buy one.
But check this out.

On January 21st I bought a 97 monte carlo z34 with all leather interior, 188,000 miles.. sweet car, paid 2000 cash for it at a dealership.
Just yesterday I saw the thing leaking oil and my antifreeze has been disappearing.. was like wtf?

Took it to the dealer today and he said that I have a busted headgasket seal and a busted main seal. WTF!!!
They wanted me to purchase the car with a 30 day warranty for 2600, I said no just 2000 no warranty. They side fine.

Now they want me to pay 700 bucks for a repair.. I said, yea! But I need some help from you too buddy.. wasn't even two weeks.

What do you guys think?

btw, love the forum.. you guys rock!

Regards!
Johnnie

Old 02-12-2009, 06:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2011
10 Year Member
Default RE: Bought a lemon Monte

I think you're wayyyyyyyyyyy overstating things if you think it's a lemon, even though repairs suck.

your car has 188K miles! that's a lot!

not to mention your engine (the LQ1) is notoriously known for expensive and sometimes frequent repairs. Although many claim with preventative care you can avoid most if not all problems.

Anywho good luck! These are great cars and I hope the dealership helps ya out.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:13 PM

3.4 with 188K. I'm surprised it lasted that long. That sucks though. Maybe need to get out the old Haynes service manual and learn the hard way about your engine.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:24 PM

welcome and i highly doubt its a lemon law vehicle. maybe u should have purchased the warranty! post some pics and good luck

Old 02-13-2009, 12:50 AM

oh crap sorry guys, it has 118,000 miles on it.. common typing error.
Yeah... maybe I am overstating the lemon law, but you guys of all people would know how PO'd you would
be if it were to happen to you. I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it up. It's got a couple dings here and there but
it's in overall great shape.

I feel that if I were to get these issues fixed, the car could last me another 10 years. The engine honestly run great
despite the issues I've had with it already. It kind of reminds me a little bit of my 3.1 engine in my 95 lumina. What a great
car that was too. But this is a badass car... the most badassest car I've ever had so far

So, wait, what's the difference between the LQ1 and other engines for monte distribution?

Old 02-13-2009, 10:13 AM

just had a upper and lower intake done gasket ext around $830.they should a leat pay half.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:27 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Yeah, that does kind of suck, but those are the breaks. You bought the car for a low price because of the high mileage. Maybe you should have had a mechanic look over it before signing the papers. They did offer the warranty and your refused. I doubt you will get any financial sympathy out of them. Good luck though, I really hope it works out for ya.

And welcome!

Old 02-13-2009, 10:45 AM

I think you'll find that if the car was inthat condition when you bought it, the Dealer will have to assist you in making the car right. Particularly, if they didn't let you know that there was a material defect or a latent defect at the time of purchase.
If you bought it and the contract says: "As is" -or- "With all faults" ... you own it!

Old 02-13-2009, 10:49 AM

Ok question...
I've been hearing that to fix this problem myself, I'd have to take out the transmission
and get inside the engine to get the problem fixed, which is fine, not scared to do it. But...
Do I need to have some sort of engine puller to get this job done? Is it something I can get
done with a good ratchet set, hammer, flatheads, and ramps to lift the car up, etc..
I mean, the main seal is like 10 bucks at autozone and a new headgasket can't be more than like, 30 bucks.
If I do that, then I'm going to put in all new valve seals too.. I'm just wondering where I'm going to need access because
I've never tore apart an engine before.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:27 AM

Hi `Johnnie & Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family
Sorry to read about the problems that you are having with your
Monte Carlo. In todays market it is difficult to find a
car with no problems for only $2K, and in your first post you
stated that you refused the warranty they offered [X(]
If it is a dealer with a good heart, he may assist, but I don`t think
he made that much money on your deal.[X(]
118K miles is not that many miles for a 11 year + old Monte,
but it depends on the maintenace of the previous owners.
If you abuse you ride, it will abuse you back.
Also I don`t know about trying to repair it yourself. I would search `out a experience mechanic that has the knowledge and tools/equipment to do the job 4 you. At least get a estimate,
and they will give you some idea of cost 2 repair and everything that is needed. If you get a super high price that you can`t affored, then I would consider, maybe trying to fix it yourself.
It pays to do your homework on purchasing a ride, and finding
a good mechanic...There are some great ones out there, but
it takes some effort to find them Ask your friends and associates
for a good/reliable gargage in your area
Wish you good luck on resolving your Monte Carlo Problems.
Below is a MSN link that list common problems with your year
and other year Monte Carlo`s. It`s a decent read.
Check `it out, Good Luck from `KidSpace
Click below link
[:-]

Quick Reply: Bought a lemon Monte