General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Body Moldings, Hoods, Ground Effects

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008
Default RE: Body Moldings, Hoods, Ground Effects

ORIGINAL: Mac7504

Ok, look at the design of a spolier, it suppose to create downforce on the rear wheels.
Get a handling kit it will do much better, if stability is what your after.
For anyone with the "race inspired" spoiler try this:

On a cool morning, wet the top of the spoiler with a hose so the water beads up.

Drive down the highway for 5-10 minutes and get off the car.

Notice that the water beads are still on the trunk and spoiler.

The air never hits the trunk of meaty part of the spoiler.

I drive 22 miles to work. On a cold misty morning, when I get to work, the trunk and spoiler still have water beads on them.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

...oh yeah, forgot to mention, I concur on the handling kit.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:58 PM

I don't have beads on my spoiler, but do have some on the rear glass and some off the upper back of the trunk.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:22 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

No beads of water or sweat on my deck lid or spoiler. But my car sets inside under a car cover most the time so I guess my car isn't a good example to use.

GPD, you need to drive faster.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:04 PM

Lol. Put it this way, the spoiler while may have some intrensic benifits at higher speeds, does more damage in the terms of weight and drag resistance than it is worth for a street vehicle that spends the majority of it's time under 80 MPH.

You want better down force? get rid of the negative downforce (akalift)that today's cars typically produce, (due to rounded styling and good ground clearance) with an aggressive (read: Ricey) aftermarket body kit, and functional hood vents (minimal benefit on the hood vent actually, but they look really cool and shed hot air, which can only be a good thing)

Honestly you're probably better off spending money on aftermarket suspension. Something with better, and more valving can control ride better, without seriously increasing the amount of the bump that is "felt" to the driver. Intelligently designed shocks will resist "squatting" under acceleration, front end dive under heavy braking, and body roll in the twisties. While progressive rate springs can also help, avoid heavily aggressive lowering kits... as if they are not properly installed they can make the car handle much worse. And another note, if you do get lowering springs, the shock should be set up for the lowering as well. In other words get the whole package together from one company, they should set it up to work cooperatively.

Or, just cut out anything you don't "need" while racing.. a few hundred pounds can do wonders to how well a car handles. You know, like the dash, passenger seats... noise dampening material....plastic interior panels... etc...