Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

body side moldings

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 02:05 PM
Default body side moldings

As most owners of 2005-2007 Monte Carlos are aware,GM did away with the body side molding on the door and rear quarters.They can be a lifesaver in parking lots,and to be honest the side of the car looks empty,like a big slab of sheetmetal without them.When I purchased my car last February,GM listed them as a dealer installed accessory,but my dealer said they weren't available.Now GM doesn't list them at all.I do have good news however!!!!!!!!!! There is a company called "Sportwing" that sells them online,along with all kinds of body kits,spoilers,etc.They come pre-painted in a kit with prep cleaning pads and adhesive activator,along with detailed instructions for location and installation.I actually measured the height above the door bottom edge on a 2003 Monte Carlo in a parking lot (luckily someone didn't call the cops) and the height matched the instructions.The kit cost aruond $155 including shipping and arrived in 2 days.The color matches PERFECTLY at any angle in any light.Anyone familiar with Laser Blue knows how it changes from a blue to more of a purple in some conditions.These moldings always look the same as the factory paint.Hope this will help some of you who miss the moldings on the newer models.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: body side moldings

ORIGINAL: Laserblue06ss

As most owners of 2005-2007 Monte Carlos
i didn't know that there were body side mouldings available on a 00-04 monte either, dont think i'd like it on the monte though

i've never seen any 00-04 monte's with them on there

Old 01-05-2007, 03:14 PM

Yeah, man...like these...

Old 01-05-2007, 03:29 PM

My '04 SS has the side mouldings, and so did my '01 SS. So I assume they were on all Monte's from 2000 thru 2005, and were dropped with the 2006 model year. I got the same story from my dealer that the "accessory" mouldings are not available for the 06/07's. I would think you could order the mouldings thru the dealer from the previous generation models, as long as your colour was available in those years. I was going to do this but my new cars' colour didn't exist thru 2000-2005.

I have a 2007 on order, and I doubt if the company you indicate would have the right colour for my car. Mineisa new colour for 2007 (Black Amythyst).The question of adding a moulding or not has really been bugging me, because I can't help thinking about the door dings.I talked to my guy from "Trimline" (Auto Striping & Trimguys) and he can get me a Black moulding that is virtually identical to the factorytype. I was thinking about having it painted to match the car, but a friend who runs a body shop says that mouldings painted after are prone to having the paint chip off quite easily, if they are hit.

So I think I am going togo with the black. The car will have black mirrors, and black trimaround the windows, and because the colour is very dark to begin with, I hope it will blend OK. Besides, I see a lot of cars that use the straight black moulding regardless of the car's colour, and they look OK.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:38 PM

If you can get the paint code they should be able to match it.The code should be on a sticker inside the trunk lid.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:53 PM

Who could match it, Sportwing or my body shop in order to paint one???

Old 01-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

yah, i'm not too big on those, i'd pull mine off if they were on mine, they do match the line from the bumpers on the car, but i dont think i could get used to them

Old 01-05-2007, 04:20 PM

Sportwing has instructions on where to find the paint code,as well as the available colors on their website.I did ask my body shop about ordering something similar and getting them to paint them and the manager said they would put a flexible polyurethane paint on that they use on flexible bumpers and other trim that would be pretty durable.But sportwing was much easier,and they do look good.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:51 PM

I think the car looks much better without them! Much cleaner look! When I had my vette, that was the FIRST thing to be removed from the car, made the lines look so much better.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:24 PM

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: Laserblue06ss
Sportwing has instructions on where to find the paint code,as well as the available colors on their website.I did ask my body shop about ordering something similar and getting them to paint them and the manager said they would put a flexible polyurethane paint on that they use on flexible bumpers and other trim that would be pretty durable.But sportwing was much easier,and they do look good.
[/align][align=center]Hi David, Thanks for your post & infor.[/align][align=center]Please post pic's of your Monte w/molding : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I like the look without them, but if I get extra $'s[/align][align=center]I will consider installing them. I now park over a 1/4 mile away[/align][align=center]from class & alway search for a isolated spot to park wherever I go.[/align][align=center]Some people, no many people do not have any respect for other peoples[/align][align=center]carsand just slam their doors into them [:@][:@][:@][/align][align=center]If they only knew how much we had to give up to get one[/align][align=center]and if they only knew what we would do to protect our ride,[/align][align=center]our pride in ownership[/align][align=center]David, what was your total cost ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][:-]Click below link for SportWing[:-][/align][align=center]http://www.sportwing.com/catalog/dis...gi?fm_catid=92[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]PeaceOut[/align][align=center]`Space[/align][align=center][/align]

Quick Reply: body side moldings