General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

black head lights.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 08:45 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default black head lights.

well i was lurking on another borad (sorry) but i seen a topic of the black headlights it cought my eye.

Well any way they said it could not be done and ya know me! Well i now have black headlights. look sweet as hell
thought i would share some photos with ya.

I am goign to take them back apart to clean up everything really good and then use a clear epoxy instead of the rtv they recomended on them this way i know i have a good seal on them. But looking at them now they dont look to bad but i can see the gasket sealer on them iand it bugs me so i will redo it and not see it any more.

here ya go

[IMG]local://upfiles/265/1D675C7187C143EAB19A45FA2CF17886.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/265/B50C44DC046F4370950B2432B82DC908.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/265/F68148C13B8D4B2BA2F916CDF95F0CC6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/265/04CCE64AF0054308907A2C4A8F36CE7B.jpg[/IMG]

so let me here what ya think of them. Oh and i added my supper secret pattoned process of putig in the LED's in there to they are red this time i belive ya can see them in the close up.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Default RE: black head lights.

Nice!!!..

How did you pull it apart?

BTW: Is that bug splater I see all over the front of your Monte? [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

Old 07-19-2006, 04:15 PM

ORIGINAL: montejass
BTW: Is that bug splater I see all over the front of your Monte? [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]
No, that's not bug splater...it's crap from a Ford when he was look'in
in his rearview mirror B-4 I passed him

Mickey, those lights are `SWEET on your July Monte
of the Month

Share the secrets

Old 07-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i was lookin at buying those on ebay..they're really cool looking..and i thought they'd look good on my black monte...

please post any info on how to do that..cuz i would love to do it myself to save a couple hundred bucks

Old 07-19-2006, 07:40 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

ok first things first. I cant take complete credit for how i did it. but i can for me doing it to my car.

YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK I AM NOT RESPONSIBAL IF YOU TRY IT AND SCREW UP YOUR HEAD LIGHTS. !!!!!!

1. get a set of head lights (or do like i did and throw chance out the window and cut yours up)

2. get out your trusty dremal tool and the cut off wheels , Would sujest getting a coupel of the dimmond ones they last longer and are nto so easy to break.

3. take your head light out of the car. run tape all the way around the edge of the light just below where it rolls in to the face of the head light. ( i didnt do this but wish i had.) it will prevent scrpaes and scratches to the lens.

4. take your fingers and work the rubber seal as far back as you can ( it wont go very far) you will see where the clear part wraps around to the under the rubber gasket.

5 get your dremal fired up. Cut along the line in front of the rubber gasket and make sure you get a straight cut. take your time on this part. cut the whole out line of the head light.

6. after you cut all the way around if the lens hasent come off find out where you missed it cuttign it apart. CAREFULLY pry it apart if you know you have cut all the way around.

7. you should have the lens in one hand the houseing in the other one.

8. get out a few rags. and some simpel green. and a old stiff tooth brush I used a detailers brush with the black bristels.

9. now take your sipel green and spray it in to a rag. you dont want to get it on to any parts other then where you want it black it will take the chrome right off. So put some in a cup or somthing that you can dip the rag in to and the tooth brush . then start scrubbing it off where ever you want the black to be.
When done it will have a nice shinny finish to it and be real smooth.

10. then you take the lens. and clear 30min epoxy and mix the epoxy up. spread it on the lens and set the lens back in place on the houseing. then clamp it all in to place BE CAREFUL!! as out lenses tend to not sit flat when being clamped and if you get it on your lens you will see it later it will look like a water drop on there all the time.

I used clamps to get it in to place and with the help of my wife i got her to run some rope around it and wraped it tight so it would also act as a clamp for the lens but would curve to the houseings contour also.

11. When it is drie take off the clamps. and then take your RTV and your finger run a small bead all the way around the light abd spread it smooth with your finger. becareful not to get it on the lens. if you tape your lens like i said to above then it will not be a real big deal becuse it will be on the tape and you can tear the tape off and the extra will go away with it. Or you can cut it off later if the tape dont pull it off.

12 let dry. then install after a few hours of allowing them to sit and be still so it can cure.

13. re light them up and see how they look.

14. I would recomend taking the light bulbs out i didnt do this but when i was done i washed them in alchaol to make sure the grease from my hads was not on a bulb i didnt know if i touched them or not so to make sure i did this.

ALSO THE AMBER LENS ON OUR HEADLIGHTS IS FUSED TO THE FRONT LENS, IF YOU WANT CLEAR LENSES ON THE CORNER LIGHTS BUY THEM THAT WAY. IF YOU PULL IT OFF AND DONT BREAK THE LENS IT WILL NOT LOOK VERRY GOOD AS IT IS GLUDE TO IT. SO THE GLUE WILL NOT LOOK GOOD ON THEM~!!

YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK I AM NOT RESPONSIBAL IF YOU TRY IT AND SCREW UP YOUR HEAD LIGHTS. !!!!!!

Old 07-19-2006, 07:50 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

ORIGINAL: montejass

Nice!!!..

How did you pull it apart?

nope tha tis not bug slpater, that is what is left of the idiot i hit the other day LOL

yeah it needes a bath BAD!! but i have a 200 mile trip tomarrow for a car show and they have a nice car wash there so i will wait till thve where there so i do it once instead of three times.

Also have been working on it alot with the head lights and i also installed some LED's in the doors right above the inside door handel that come on with the dome lights .

and also re did the under door handel lights to make them red instead of UV.pupril but they still look awsome !! and i think im still the only one with them here in Germany anyway LOL

and i dont think anyone else has the same kind i do. I made mine instead of the 80.00 kit it cost my 30.00 in parts with enough LED's to last for a while doing other projects. My kids hot wheels is getting working tail lights to LOL

Old 05-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

here is a how to for those of you that want to knwo how i did my black head lights.
REMEBER THIS IS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

I personally would recomend getting a set from the junk yard and doing it to them instead of the ones on the car now. this way if ya screw them up your not out the lights on the car.