General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Black Dale Jr. Edition?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 09:44 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Originally Posted by trewyn15
I disagree with this, you have no idea how they put it together or who put it together. It had to have taken quite a bit to salvage a car at that low mileage... so I'm thinking frame damage, once a frame is heated up to bend it back, it will never be nearly as strong as before.

I would steer clear of this one and keep an eye out and if you do continue to look into it, don't pay more thank $4000.
& im gonna have to dissagree with you on everything u said, first off it dont take much to total a car these days ive seen new cars get totaled out from a bumper being ripped off & sence its a HS monte its very easy to total out, & no real body shops heat frames anymore, everything is pulled back using a frame rack, no more heating & if that dont work a new piece is put in, nothing wrong with salvage cars most are built back right

Old 08-01-2012, 11:26 AM

Yeah it's BS. Altough I've wanted to paint my JG Edition black, I knew it'd be a bad idea as it takes away from it's originality.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:30 AM

I disagree with this, you have no idea how they put it together or who put it together. It had to have taken quite a bit to salvage a car at that low mileage... so I'm thinking frame damage, once a frame is heated up to bend it back, it will never be nearly as strong as before.

I would steer clear of this one and keep an eye out and if you do continue to look into it, don't pay more thank $4000.
If a frame is fixed right (NOT HEATED, but straighten on a frame rack) it is just as stong as new. My monte was straightened and I hit a tree 2 years later with no frame damage.

On the rack

Damaged metal repaired and welded back together.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:43 AM

Yes, as all have said it is a clone at best. Take a look at it, if it looks good see if you can take it to a reputable body shop and have it inspected. They will let you know if it was repaired correctly or not. Where do you live in MN?

Good luck with a purchase.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by RonBoySS
Yes, as all have said it is a clone at best. Take a look at it, if it looks good see if you can take it to a reputable body shop and have it inspected. They will let you know if it was repaired correctly or not. Where do you live in MN?

It's not even a clone. Negotiate a price for the car that it is. A 2002 SS with a salvage title. The fact they stuck Dale Jr headrests in it is irrelevant. Tell the guy he can keep his Dale Jr headrests. You can either take the headrests from your old car, or find some regular headrests really cheap at a junk yard or the net.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by aussiek2000
If a frame is fixed right (NOT HEATED, but straighten on a frame rack) it is just as stong as new. My monte was straightened and I hit a tree 2 years later with no frame damage.

If you cut a frame and weld it, it WILL NOT be as strong as it was originally as one solid piece. If you bend it, it will possibly still be strong, but not as strong as it was originally... take a piece of metal and bend it, keep bending it, it will continue to get weaker and weaker on each bend.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I actually do a lot of work for a budy that does mainly salvage cars and really now a days it real does not take much, and with the weather we have had a lot of body shops are actually weighing off a little more damage to total cars out instead of basically saying hey we can fix it but it will take 3 months

An airbag deployment 90% of the time means total, but does not always mean frame damage,

Last edited by Budsjlm; 08-01-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:07 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by RonBoySS

I live on the West Central part of MN. I am not serious right now about this car because i have to sell mine but if i was i would ask where it was fixed and why it was totaled...some people just assume stuff and they are absoutely wrong!

Old 08-02-2012, 07:42 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I removed the drama bullsh*t out of certain posts.

Certain people have been warned about this before. Take the drama somewhere else. It is possible to have a discussion with opposing points of view without resorting to insults.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:07 AM

If you cut a frame and weld it, it WILL NOT be as strong as it was originally as one solid piece. If you bend it, it will possibly still be strong, but not as strong as it was originally... take a piece of metal and bend it, keep bending it, it will continue to get weaker and weaker on each bend.
i actually think your wrong here. 2 pieces of metal welded together correctly should actually be as strong as one piece of metal. take nascar roll cages for example you dont see them breaking in accidents at the weld. the bars themselves have a better chance of bending than breaking the welds.

Quick Reply: Black Dale Jr. Edition?