General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Best way to cut weight?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Best way to cut weight?

hey guys... whats some ways you guys would cut weight down without making your car look like its totally useless? I plan on replacing seats with some racing seats and pulling out the majority of the extra equipment I dont need like my amps in the for sale section... but what else can I truly do while keeping SOME look to it?

Old 04-02-2008, 06:41 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Best way to cut weight?

take the insulation off the bottom of your hood... but you'll be able to grill burgers on your hood if you do this. Take the carpeting out of your trunk. Taking some of the stock speakers out may svae a couple pounds. there is a lot of sound dampening material in these cars... probably in the door panels and behind the back seats. pull it out.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

See if there are any carbon fibre body panels available.

This is very popular with other makes/models. Some people even painted them to keepthe carfrom looking like a collection of mis-match body panels.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:38 PM

well you could just not eat so much, and DRINK TONS OF WATER!!!
unles sya mean for the car.
then all of what was said above will help some and also if you are not worried about driveabilty or looks take out all the seats and center council other hten the drivers seat.
take out the spare tire and jack
you can take out door pannels
cu tout some of the extra bracing in the pannels that are for keepign the car stiffer and also for helping to have places to moutn the pannels etc...

but it is up to you. IF YOU WANT TO DRIVE IT DAILY I WOULD NOT CUT ANY OUT OF THE CAR.

Also you can take out the inner fenders on the front end.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:23 PM

ORIGINAL: mickey

well you could just not eat so much, and DRINK TONS OF WATER!!!
unles sya mean for the car.
then all of what was said above will help some and also if you are not worried about driveabilty or looks take out all the seats and center council other hten the drivers seat.
take out the spare tire and jack
you can take out door pannels
cu tout some of the extra bracing in the pannels that are for keepign the car stiffer and also for helping to have places to moutn the pannels etc...

but it is up to you. IF YOU WANT TO DRIVE IT DAILY I WOULD NOT CUT ANY OUT OF THE CAR.

Also you can take out the inner fenders on the front end.
LOL! ...

Old 04-03-2008, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

haha, well... im now on the water diet.

I want to keep this street drivable, yet, make it a little more stylish and a little faster. Im thinking things to do that will help so if I decide to keep the 3.4 for the MPG and insurance reasons or make the swap up to the 3.8, I still have parts and upgrades that will carry over. Stuff for the interior are one of those things.. and now im looking for things to cut weight all over the car. i mean, im VERY tempted to pull the spare out, and just keep a little pump and some fix a flat... but I know that will come back to bite me in the butt. so, any ideas on what else I could do?

Old 04-03-2008, 06:21 PM

I did this with my old Monte unless i was on a trip or out on my own my spare etc... was out of the car and the only seats ever in it were the front buckets unless i had the kids with me

other wise i was race ready mos tof the time.

Also run the fule down and keep only a small amount in it.
fule weights in at like 5 pounds a gal. i think it is I know Desiel is at 8 pounds per gal.

So if ya have a full tank ther eis some weight also.
good luck.
it pretty much comes down to what ever you dont need you get rid of and then play it by ear.
Also go to a truck stop and get it scaled now then after also