Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

whats the best way to hook up system with stock unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Default whats the best way to hook up system with stock unit

i have a 2001 monte carlo with onstar and i really dont want to get rid of the stock cd whats the best way to run subs and an amp
thanks

Old 03-10-2010, 06:56 PM

i had that bright idea for the last year and a half, and now i want a touchscreen.

there are many ways.

there are in-line output converters = turns speaker wires into rca's - 15$

i used a product called the memphis 16-6ix = it does the same thing, cut with cleaner sound cause its also a line driver{increases the pre-amp voltage}. it also has a 12volt turn on and ground to decrease noise pick up. i got it for free but it retails for about 200. if i get what i want ill sell it to you for cheap.

memphiscaraudio.com

JL called the clean sweep - ive heard works good
alpine
mtx............ and so on. most of them are junk and you get what you pay for.

im old school and enjoy the 6 disc, and i disabled onstar so dont need that. i also like the factory look.

P.S. most new head units dont have controls for trunk cd changers{really old school} lol

Old 03-10-2010, 07:53 PM

ok so whats the best way to hook both of those up ive never hooked up a system to a stock unit before and im try to find the easiest way to and if i was to go that one way how much is cheap lol

Old 03-10-2010, 08:20 PM

idk 50 bucks or something, thats if/when i get one. i have the money right now, but am debating on that or some magnaflows and an LTZ, SS rear bumber cover and fog lights/ hid's.

the best SQ will cost will come from a boxed electronic unit like mine. you, take out your head unit, splice all speaker wires, and a power, run RCA's to the trunk, and play with ****. it splits frequecies, and adds power to the mix. it allows you to amp front, rear, and subs.

the easiest way is the in line outputs. basicly you split your 6x9 wires in the trunk, take one set plug them into the conveter thing, and RCA's come out the other end. this way only allows you to amp your subs. it also creates noise, and takes power away from your 6x9's. it only costs about 15 bucks.

you can do that to all your speakers to amp them all.

P.S. if you have a factory amp hanging from your rear deck it has a crossover in it which splits high/low. you can just splice into the low part.

all i can say is good luck on finding which wire is which. i spent at least 2 full days with a friend staring and twisting and never want to look at any of it ever again.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:25 PM

ok thanks im going to try the way that sounds easier lol by going though the 6x9 and i would go with flowmaster 44's it what im gettin sounds real good

Old 03-10-2010, 08:31 PM

i have a dumb question to every time i try to see someones profile or go look at pictures it wont let me why does it do that lol

Old 03-10-2010, 09:04 PM

It's blocked for your first 10 days and until you have 5 posts

Old 03-10-2010, 09:12 PM

i post all kinds of dumb questions. dont worry about it. there arent any MCF bullys that will taunt you for life.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:25 PM

ok thanks

Old 03-10-2010, 10:36 PM

There's also adapters like this. It takes the signal straight from your radio and gives you an RCA output like you had an aftermarket head unit, so you're not tapping into wires in the trunk and such. The other ways work too, but this is the way I would do it, personally.

http://pac-audio.com/productDetails....&CategoryID=28

Quick Reply: whats the best way to hook up system with stock unit