General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Bent wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 07:22 PM
Default Bent wheels

Just got a 2003 Monte Carlo. Bought from a car lot. Shows some wear but mostly together. My problem is the wheels. Had new tires so I thought they simply needed balancing. Took it to the tire store I've business. They balanced them and said I had a bent wheel. Bought a remanufactured wheel to match the ones on the car. Still had a wobble so I bought another reman. So I have replaced both the right sides and still have an aggravating wobble. I plan to keep replacing wheels until I get her smoothed out. My question is could I be chasing the wrong problem? What else can it be?

Old 08-19-2016, 04:50 PM

Rather than continuing to replace things, I'd try and ensure you've found the problem area first. Do you have any local rim repair shops? They should be able to measure radial and axial runout for you.

If not, Id think you could set up something simple with a dial indicator and a magnetic base and just measure it with the car on jack stands as you spin the wheel.

Just keep in mind that you're not only measuring the wheel in doing that, your hub could probably impact axial runout also /since they'll be bolted together.

Other things to think of- is it possible a tire is out of balance? Is it possible some of the suspension is worn causing the feeling while going down the road? I'd take a look at all of those components before I just kept throwing parts at it.