General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Belt Tensioner breaking apart at 4,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Default Belt Tensioner breaking apart at 4,000 miles

Ohhhh Warranty Issues with Dealers:

After fighting with the Service Advisor telling him that the belt was slipping causing my issue; he tells me that after installing Chassis ears that the issue was the belt and the belt tensioner was breaking apart. Took them 2 full days to figure this out when I typed up a document that explained in full detail what causes the issue in the first place.

Ticking & Clicking heater hoses issue: I provided them with the TSB and parts are on order.

Best part: Asked for the car not to be run through the car wash and they run it through the car wash. I had to run to Coin-op and spend 12 bucks to wash by bucket, use a vinegar & water solution 3 parts water to 1 part water with a microfiber and then rewash with Meguiar's Nxt car wash to remove the mineral deposits from the water marks. If you want 1 weeks these become etched into the clear coat. Now I will need to rewax when Chicago gets above 50 degrees.

Dealer offered to install swirl marks to remove the water marks. I said "no thanks." Next time when I have the heater hoses installed, I am bringing a red Sharpie with to write in BIG letters NO CAR WASH!!!!

Thanks for the help for the TSB!!!

Old 03-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Default RE: Belt Tensioner breaking apart at 4,000 miles

Which dealership was this?

Old 03-13-2007, 11:23 AM

Lattoff Chevrolet in Arlington Hts., IL.

The OnStar fix has quit working after 2 days as well. They tried re-crimping a wire into the rearview mirror and put electrical tape around it. A bare wire is exposed with no insulation on it. I got the car back with grease and boot scuff marks on the drivers door.

This is the dealer that I have bought the car from and will be going back in for the 5th in 4100 miles.

My wife's 2002 Malibu which I bought from Lattoff hada recall over the last summer for a short in the hazard switch which would cause the turn signals to quit working. Took the car in and when I got it back I noticed when I had to turn the A/C on and adjust the vent next to the hazard switch that it was flopping around. I emailed Lattoff that the vent was broken from having the hazard switch replaced and when my wife took the car back, the Service Advisor said "that the mechanice showed my the vent when he replaced the switch and it was broken." I said that was not true because the vent was working fine until it was replaced. And if it was broken if you would have said something that it was then I would say to replace it and if I knew it was broken then I would have said to replace it. The Service Advisor said "Whatever!" And he fixed it under warranty.

It is no wonder that Lattoff has sold half of its previous lot size to Walgreens and a mini-mall, because it is obivous they are not selling as many cars as they were in 2001. Their lot is know half the size.

They look at the car for 45 min. and say can't replicate the problem.

I had Jennings Chevrolet in Glenview once replace the spark plugs on 1996 Beretta, which I bough new from Jennings. I got the car back and it was running worse than before. The car was mis-firing badly. I took the car back and after 3 days of looking at it. The Service Advisor told me that the mechanic had cross-threaded a spark plug on a rear cylinder (3.1 V6) and run a chaser through the threads. I had to fight with Service Manager to get credited for the spark plugs and labor. I have never bought a car from Jennings again.

Sorry for the long post.
You just can't get good customer service even when you pay for it.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:40 AM

Hi Eric,
Sorry to read about all your problems with your dealership [X(]
I would report your problems to upper management and if you don't get any
resolve, then I would proceed up the ladder of the GM divisions.
or
Write a letter to your editors of TV & News (Consumer Problems)
I hope things get better and that you can find a dealer
that is competent.
Good Luck 2 U
[hr]
Now, here's the good news (Both your cars won last Sunday : )
Jimmie Johnson #48overcame a pit penalty and pre-race predictions of near-disaster to win his third consecutive UAW-DaimlerChrysler 400 at the “new†Las Vegas Motor Speedway. The rebuilt 1.5-mile oval, made narrower with banking increased from 12 to 20 degrees, caused Goodyear to bring a rock-hard left-side tire. The drivers didn’t like it, with Greg Biffle describing the conditions as driving on “black ice.†Johnson’s Lowe’s Chevrolet took the lead from Jeff Burton with 27 laps to go and beat Hendrick teammate Jeff Gordon #24 by 2.7 seconds. Denny Hamlin was third, followed by Matt Kenseth and Mark Martin. It was Rick Hendrick’s 150th victory. Martin leads Gordon by six points.
Four of the Top Five were Chevy Monte Carlo's
[sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 03-13-2007, 01:13 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What year is the car you had the have them replace the belt tensioner?

Old 03-13-2007, 06:02 PM

2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3.5 V6 with 4,000 miles. 6 mos. old.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

must just be a defect...made too early on a monday or too late on a friday

Old 03-13-2007, 10:57 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sure hope it's not an image of things to come?

My '06 has 11,700 miles on it now.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:35 AM

24_48 that is not true about the service! I have a wonderful dealership I work with. I get my parts from the parts manager at less than wholesale and the service dept. has worked on my cars in the past and never had a problem. The service manager even offered to ride with me in my 98 Grand Prix GTP when it was misfiring on full throttle starts with a computer on his lap to diagnose the problem. It needed new plugs & wires and they fixed it flawlessly. All dealerships are not the same. However, I know a lot that don't give a ****e.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:23 PM

I am going by the Service that I have experienced and my brother and parents. It is true that does not occur with all dealerships just the ones that I have had to deal with over the course of 3 new Chevrolets for the past 10 years. I just don't want to hear that they cannot replicate the problem after having the car for 1 hour.

I troubleshoot networks and Point of Sale software for a living and that would not work in my field. I exposed wires is unacceptable after having the car for 2 days. I should have been offered a loaner as well. I spoke with the Service Advisor today and the car is going back in to the dealership for the 5th time in 4200 miles, Cain is this acceptable?Powe Steering Leak at 1800 miles, Front-end chatter 2500 miles,Belt Tensioner at 4,000 miles,Onstar problem4,000 miles, Onstar Problem Again at4025 Miles. I have less issues with my 90 year automobile in 4200 miles of driving. I guess when quality just costs too much .

I am just stating my experience with the Dealership that I bought 2 cars from. I base my car purchase on the customer service I receive. SomeService Advisorshave trouble understanding verbal communication when it comes to problem solving.

Cain: I am happy for you that you are getting good service from your dealership. Are they located in the Chicagoland area?

But JJ #48 Did win this week

Dealers do great detailing and new car prep too... Just check out Meguiarsonline

Quick Reply: Belt Tensioner breaking apart at 4,000 miles