General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

A bad night

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Default A bad night

So i went to my local mall last nigt with my girlfriend our daughter and my girlfriends sister and had a great time just wandering and looking at the costumes, after we were done we headed back to the car got in and headed for home with a quick stop to drop off her sister. As i pull off the highway and stop at a red light i notice some smoke off to my right but didn't think much of it at first, thinking i was on sewer vent thing, but when i pulled forward the smoke followed and then the sickeningly sweet smell of burnt anti-freeze and then i noticed my temp gauge was almost in the red so we got to where her sister lived and shut it down, turns out the problem is the little plastic elbow under the supercharger snout cracked 3/4 of the way around at the bend so then i get some j-b quick weld to try and band-aid it to get home....yeah that failed in like 5 miles so i left the car at a local FDovernight and had it towed to a shop today to have them do te repair but they wont be open till monday. so theres my sob story, can anybody relate?

Old 10-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i still cant drive my car, its off insurance, so im driving the trail blazer around with the inline 6. but my side of the story is, i cant drive the monte lol

Old 10-02-2010, 02:59 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

The colant elbow? Those are like $3 to replace, and easy to do yourself. remove the belt and loosen, mabye take off the bolts on the alternator bracket.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Mannn that sucks =(

Old 10-04-2010, 07:27 AM

Bad times are just a reminder to really enjoy the good times when they return Wish you good luck on getting it fixed....

Old 10-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I can relate. When I had my 99 grand am gt, the water pump blew.

I was at Best Buy. I returned to my car after buying something, started the car, and smoke started immediately pouring from the engine bay. Thinking the engine might be on fire, I quickly moved the car away from other cars. Put the thing in the far corner closest to the street. Shut the car off. When the smoke stopped, I pop the hood and see the entire engine bay all wet with anti-freeze.

Took a cab home. Called tow truck to tow the car directly to the dealership. That was just one of many engine problems I had with the 3.4 litre engine in that grand am.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:40 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

That sucks - good luck with the repair.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Enzo354
The colant elbow? Those are like $3 to replace, and easy to do yourself. remove the belt and loosen, mabye take off the bolts on the alternator bracket.
x2

At least you didn't have a spun bearing or even a bad water pump. This is an easy fix. It sucks when it happens though.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I've safely drove my '84 Camaro home once with a blown power steering hose. It was 2am, I stopped at the 24-7 gas station, bought the last two quarts of fluid they had, filled the power steering fluid, immediately got on the freeway, up to 75MPH, popped it in neutral and cut the engine (if it's not running, the pulleys aren't spinning out the fluid). When speed got to about 50MPH, restarted the car, popped it in gear and repeated. Got off the freeway, pulled over re-filled the fluid and did that same routine the rest of the way home (just lower speeds).I've done that trick with coolant leaks (drove a 20 mile trip home on a blown radiator in my Grand Am, never got the car hot at all). Downside with the new cars is digitally controlled speedo's.... UGH, if the car is not on, you don't get a read on your speed (so you need to eyeball it)....I DO NOT RECOMMEND doing this on busy or rush hour road ways (if the car is not running, you don't have power brakes either). So, I admit I've done this and I've done it with GREAT caution!! A tow is certainly a much safer approach, so I by NO means am suggesting anyone do this (I'm just sharing something I have done in the past).

Old 10-04-2010, 11:33 AM
rj
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I've safely drove my '84 Camaro home once with a blown power steering hose. It was 2am, I stopped at the 24-7 gas station, bought the last two quarts of fluid they had, filled the power steering fluid, immediately got on the freeway, up to 75MPH, popped it in neutral and cut the engine (if it's not running, the pulleys aren't spinning out the fluid). When speed got to about 50MPH, restarted the car, popped it in gear and repeated. Got off the freeway, pulled over re-filled the fluid and did that same routine the rest of the way home (just lower speeds).I've done that trick with coolant leaks (drove a 20 mile trip home on a blown radiator in my Grand Am, never got the car hot at all). Downside with the new cars is digitally controlled speedo's.... UGH, if the car is not on, you don't get a read on your speed (so you need to eyeball it)....I DO NOT RECOMMEND doing this on busy or rush hour road ways (if the car is not running, you don't have power brakes either). So, I admit I've done this and I've done it with GREAT caution!! A tow is certainly a much safer approach, so I by NO means am suggesting anyone do this (I'm just sharing something I have done in the past).

Back in the 1980s when I worked about 20 miles from home I did this method with two different cars. Both blew the radiator hose at one time of another.

Quick Reply: A bad night