General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Attention Monte Carlo Fourm

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member

Anybody intrested in a stock z34 kit? The front bumper has a small hole but can be fixed?

Old 03-26-2010, 10:04 PM

But thininkin about it i may, just shave the door handle and locks and call the body work done.
I'd be careful shaving the handles in WI if it's your daily driver- what if the door freezes shut?

Also, you won't ever be able to take the car to the drag strip either (you need some obvious method of opening the doors in case of a wreck). Just a heads up.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member

thx never really had any plans of hitting the drag strip, and i do have other planes of buying a winter beater. I gotta audi 5000s with a fuel proplem its got a 5 speed 5 cyl turbo charged motor. Awd and its a station wagon lol.

Looks something like this

Bumpin where did u get the blue chrome valve covers? and can i get a pair in red?

Old 03-27-2010, 01:35 PM

Those valve covers are just paint- its a medium blue metallic paint with white stripes on the tops of the covers. I just bought a rattle can of it from autozone. Honestly, in person you can tell its just a metallic flake blue paint, it definitely doesn't look chrome.

However- there is a type of paint that will give you a blue chrome look- I used it on some of the other parts of my engine:

I want to say I got those rattle cans at Autozone also- its called like an anodized look paint, or something. Anyways- you have to buy two different paints- a base and a top coat (the top coat is semi-transparent like a candy coat)- so you spray a silver metallic base, and then coat that with the blue top coat as thick as you'd like (I think that was 2 coats- any more and it would've looked like straight blue paint). They do also sell a red topcoat as well.

However, it only gives a convincing effect on perfectly smooth surfaces- the top of the factory valve covers are too rough to give a convincing effect, and would have to be sanded down until smooth (maybe 2 minutes work with a power sander)- at least down to like a 400 grit finish.

Your other option would be to go to ZZP and buy the polished aluminum valve covers- and either have them actually anodized red- or you could paint them as I said above (not sure if you could spray the red candy straight on the aluminum though- you may still need a base coat for it to stick well).

edit- actually, if you look at the PS pulley in the picture- you can see the base coat color on the back rib of the pulley (the metal flake silver)- and the blue on the front of the pulley. However, due to the angle of the shot- it doesn't look as 'blue chrome' as the oil pressure sender does- but if you looked at both dead on, it does look almost as good (the finish on the front of it was a little rougher than the oil pressure sender when I sprayed it).

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 03-27-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member

thx man