General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Anybody near Detroit good with rust repair?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 11:14 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Anybody near Detroit good with rust repair?

The winters in Michigan have been hard on the car. I've got some "skin cancer" in my wheel wells that need some repair before it really gets bad. I'm more of a mechanical guy vrs body guy and have little experience with rust work.

Does anybody:

Know of a good shop in the Detroit Metro Area that will do small-scale rust repair for a reasonable cost?

or

Want to get together to teach me some ways to fix it on my own? Could be a cool get together once spring hits.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:43 PM

I have the same problem and live in the same area. I'm sick of all the salt!

Old 02-18-2014, 06:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

x3, same area.

Mine's kept super clean and even mine has an area of rust developing in the passenger rear quarter wheel lip. It hasn't seen winters for the past three years now which has helped but it's still worse than when I bought the car. I'll be possibly getting mine fixed this spring but that's something I have to look into.

Just fyi, we do hold Monte Carlo Meets in Michigan throughout the year. The first one is coming up on Saturday, May 17th and the information for that one is here > https://montecarloforum.com/forum/me...-2014-a-46709/. You're more than welcome to join us at the Meet and, if you do, you can show us the problem and talk with some of us there in person.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 02-18-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Monteman:

Depending on where you live.... I had some rust repair done last summer by my stepson.... and of course I have the typical 5th gen rust.... That he made disappear.
Also,
There is a Great collision shop around the corner from me that also do premo work for less.... I don't know if you were considering joining the www.MichiganMonteCarloClub.com that has recently formed.... But I would imagine since they have also done some body work for me... I'm sure they would be willing to work with you on repairs as well as priceing!

I live downriver near Metro Airport in Taylor Michigan... I'd be willing to steer you in there direction for help with your rust issue!

Heres a before and after pic!

Before!

After!

Attached Thumbnails Anybody near Detroit good with rust repair?-backyard-pic-new.jpg   Anybody near Detroit good with rust repair?-wp_000355.jpg  

Last edited by STUMPMI; 02-18-2014 at 07:00 PM. Reason: addition of pics
Old 02-20-2014, 11:19 AM

Stumpi,

I'm right next door in Riverview. I'd love to gain some insight if you'd like to meet up sometime.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:36 AM

5 Year Member

Monteman,
I am home most everyday. So, the real question is when is it convenient for you? Im at Champaign st and Pelham/Allen... (I'm sure you know where that is...) lol Shoot me a pm with your number or I can give you mine....either way. I'm sure we can work something out! Let me know when you have some free time!

Old 02-20-2014, 01:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Something I would suggest is an under coating or "rhino-liner" my car has most of the underchasis coated with a thin layer of a rhino-liner like substance and the wheel wells are coated with it much thicker. I dont have any issues with rusting. I dont know if you guys back east do this on your cars but this was a canada car so its seen a fair amount of salt. The coating blends really well and is pretty durable. Its essentially what they line truck beds with.

So if you do get it fixed and want to avoid the problem in the future I suggest this.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:44 PM

5 Year Member

David:
When I ordered my 5th Gen... I had it undercoated as well as sound proofed...

My rust like many other 5th Gens was a Manufacturer Design defect...

As you notice from my pictures, The rust is directly adjacent/below the fuel door.. In the door opening theres a drain hole... Via gas over flow and or water. That actually drains down between the body and the outside skin.
Over time...especially as a daily driver the road salt and water begins to rust that area thus rusting from the inside out... It only took 14 yrs for mine to develop even though it was garage kept.

You do realize (Or maybe not) That all the Monte Carlos were built in Oshwa Canada...

Just a little FYI...
My 1999 Monte Carlo Z-34 was the 1st Z-34 in Michigan .. I actually ordered it in 1997 and picked it up from the Dealership in 1998.

Last edited by STUMPMI; 02-20-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
David:
When I ordered my 5th Gen... I had it undercoated as well as sound proofed...

My rust like many other 5th Gens was a Manufacturer Design defect...

As you notice from my pictures, The rust is directly adjacent/below the fuel door.. In the door opening theres a drain hole... Via gas over flow and or water. That actually drains down between the body and the outside skin.
Over time...especially as a daily driver the road salt and water begins to rust that area thus rusting from the inside out... It only took 14 yrs for mine to develop even though it was garage kept.

You do realize (Or maybe not) That all the Monte Carlos were built in Oshwa Canada...
Yeah like I said, I dont know how durable it is back east. I think that area is lined in mine too from what I'v seen. Worried about that drain since day 1 though.
I mean mine was owned and registered in BC. Haha

Old 02-25-2014, 11:14 AM

Stumpii, Once the weather gets better I'll contact you and we can meet up. I don't feel like freezing my *** off diagnosing and trying some fixes.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Anybody near Detroit good with rust repair?