General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Anybody done a mpg based build?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Default Anybody done a mpg based build?

I'm considering eventually trying to do a few mods based upon increasing mpg/ life expectancy on my 98z34 3800 n/a. Attention to air intake, exhaust upgrades.

Any And all opinions appreciated!

Air intake, planning on keeping stock air box w/ my k&n panel replacement filter. But want to find less restrictive tubing from box to engine.

Exhaust- seems like a ton of options! I was looking on zzp, front power log headers, rear ported is a maybe, not sure if they are direct bolt to my car but the downpipe w/cat & ubend delete looks pretty snazzy. They have the option to coat some of these parts w/ heat resistors but for mpg build I don't think that'll help.

If you can think of something else to better mpg or better alternatives I'm listening

Old 03-05-2012, 12:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You could also try to eliminate any additional weight, keep your tires inflated properly and change your driving habits. Just a few thoughts.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:35 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

Porting, the obvious exhaust and intake work, hv3 from zzp, tune

Old 03-05-2012, 06:09 AM

headers, downpipe, exhaust, ported lim keep stock runners and a tune . shave some weight, ac delete, aluminum subframe, pontiac torque star rims

Old 03-05-2012, 06:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Low rolling resistant tires is all the rage these days

Old 03-05-2012, 08:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What's the point of spending a lot of money to increase your MPGs by a slight amount?

Have you done the math to figure out how much you are spending, what you expect to gain, and how long that will take to get back from the pumps?

Old 03-05-2012, 08:25 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I think I'm getting great gas mileage with my 05 - check my sig for mods.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:55 AM

K and N filters are bad. They increase flow because the gaps in the filter are bigger so they catch less debris. After haveing on on my 1994 Lumina for 5 years and cleaning it regularly my throttlebody became clogged and engine started dieing, mpg reduced, and lost power. Stick with a stock filter. My mechanic was the one who told me about K&N. Been going to him for 10 years dont think he would lie.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mr Grizzly Mint
K and N filters are bad. They increase flow because the gaps in the filter are bigger so they catch less debris. After haveing on on my 1994 Lumina for 5 years and cleaning it regularly my throttlebody became clogged and engine started dieing, mpg reduced, and lost power. Stick with a stock filter. My mechanic was the one who told me about K&N. Been going to him for 10 years dont think he would lie.
No problems here, along with everyone I know, the only issues with K&N is that they're oiled and that gets in the MAF

Old 03-05-2012, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
Porting, the obvious exhaust and intake work, hv3 from zzp, tune
hv3 is something i don't feel like doing but thanks for suggestion

I've never had a problem with the k&n filters, ran them in all my vehicles so far so good

What's the point of spending a lot of money to increase your MPGs by a slight amount?

Have you done the math to figure out how much you are spending, what you expect to gain, and how long that will take to get back from the pumps?

I'm trying to keep that in mind thanks for the reminder though

out of curiosity what's everybody currently averaging for mpg's??

Quick Reply: Anybody done a mpg based build?