General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Another recall...???

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 10:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My opinion if your worried about it go to your local parts store buy a set of valve cover gaskets and replace them, anyone with any mechanical ability and a basic socket set can do this, if it's leaking you should probably do it anyways,

*end rant*

Old 10-28-2015, 09:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I wonder if they recall the cars and say they will do the valve covers, if they would do the work on my engine

Old 10-28-2015, 03:57 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I wonder if they recall the cars and say they will do the valve covers, if they would do the work on my engine
(Mike brings his Monte to his local dealership for the recall) Service manager comes out to talk to Mike: "Well Mike, we did the recall, but we had to do some additional work in order to do it. We had to undo all of your modifications to return your engine to stock --- for safety reasons. Now, GM only pays for the recall work. You are responsible for paying for the additional work we had to do to your car. Please see the cashier to settle up your bill."

Old 10-28-2015, 04:10 PM

15 Year Member

I kind of want to tear it down and redo my gaskets again, it's been a while... but man it is gonna be a pain to get to my valve covers now.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I kind of want to tear it down and redo my gaskets again, it's been a while... but man it is gonna be a pain to get to my valve covers now.
F-body 3800 aluminum valve covers? Huh? What??

Old 10-28-2015, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
My opinion if your worried about it go to your local parts store buy a set of valve cover gaskets and replace them, anyone with any mechanical ability and a basic socket set can do this, if it's leaking you should probably do it anyways,

*end rant*
and send the bill to GM!!!.... seriously see if the will reimburse for the cost

Old 10-28-2015, 07:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
You say this like other cars have no issues, it's only GM. Sure, right now GM has been getting lots of press with recalls and issues (some of it I think is GM being too cautious given other issues that came out over the last 1-2 years).
But what about Ford/Bridgestone with exploding tires, Toyota with uncontrolled acceleration, Mopar products being hacked/remote controlled? I bet if you look at recalls other manufacturers release, they all probably have a long list, it's just which ones make the news.

Every car has it's faults. I do work mostly on GM cars because that's what I like/own, but I've messed with some others (like a Ford Taurus and heater hoses) that made me ask "why the heck did they do that?".

I find it funny that people feel BCM and PassLock issues are so common, yet, I know TONS of people (not online, cars I see regularly, have had my hands on and may have wrenched on) with W and N body cars that this problem is supposedly so common, never had this issue (and some are well over 200K miles). Before Lou says anything, he's been through the ringer with passlock issues, there is always an exception to everything.

Looking at the recalls about the oil issues with valve covers on the 3800, got news for everyone, those same exact valve covers, same gasket design, same plug wire holders have been on GM car longer then the recall I saw. My '93 Grand Am with a 3300 (which was using a block based off the 3800 of the time) had the same set up and it probably goes further back then '93.
This degrading gasket to me is not enough info. I'm curious if perhaps a vendor that made the gaskets for GM used inferior material. Sometimes, it's not directly the car manufacturer at fault, it's the company that produced a product for the car manufacturer.

Food for thought.
I agree with Jason and Budsjlm. At least GM has enough backbone to announce a problem, unlike others mentioned. I have to wonder how many 10-20 year old daily drivers haven't had a valve cover leak. And let's not forget Volkswagen, intentionally falsifying the program to cheat emissions tests. That's called fraud folks.
As for repair costs, parts are cheap. It's the dealer's that rip us off on labor costs, especially if it requires Tech 2 programming. Curious to know what a dealer charges to replace a BCM. Did my own and it was $150 for the OEM BCM online. Literally a 10 minute job to replace it, plus 35 minutes for the security relearn. You can buy an aftermarket Tech 2 for $400-600 which pays for itself very fast at those rates. Valve cover gaskets; $25 for a set, 1-2 hours to do the work. This is why I do my own work.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:39 AM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by plumbob
Curious to know what a dealer charges to replace a BCM. Did my own and it was $150 for the OEM BCM online. Literally a 10 minute job to replace it, plus 35 minutes for the security relearn. You can buy an aftermarket Tech 2 for $400-600 which pays for itself very fast at those rates. Valve cover gaskets; $25 for a set, 1-2 hours to do the work. This is why I do my own work.
Pretty sure it's around $400 for the BCM replacement from a dealer.

Where can you find the TechII so cheap? Maybe the chinese knock-off ones, but a real tech2, I've only found around $1000-$1200.

I'd love to get one though.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member

Hi Chibi

Here's a AC Delco BCM on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Body-Control...pVp~nv&vxp=mtr

Here's a Tech 2 on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-TECH-2-VE...572562&vxp=mtr

and yes, you can be sure these are Chinese knock-off "aftermarket" Tech 2's. The sellers list them as "used" to get around the selling of counterfeit goods, but they do work.

If your willing to chance buying direct from China, pay customs and shipping, commercial invoice transation, you can get one even cheaper here: http://www.dinodirect.com/profession...2-scanner.html

Last edited by plumbob; 10-29-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:18 PM

Ah the good ol bcm. Replaced mine 3 years ago. Got the bcm for around $200, and my mechanic had a friend that programmed it for me for $50. I remember calling a GM stealership for prices and it was going to cost over $500. Can't believe they get away with that.