General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

4th Gen ('81-'88): another problem. PARKING BRAKE indicator

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default another problem. PARKING BRAKE indicator

so on Saturday i couldn't get my car started and i had my parking brake on. either way, i dont think i released the brake and we pushed the car to the back of the lot.

i just went back there tonight to see if it would start(it didnt) but i noticed the brake light indicator under the high beams indicator was on. i pulled the release and it didnt pop so it wasnt still active but i hope i didnt f**k it up. i pushed the brake in and released it again and it didn't go off. when i turnt the key forward the light went off.

what is wrong with my car? i cant wait to send it off

Old 05-11-2016, 10:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2016
10 Year Member

Check the batter/connections to start. Is it trying to start or just doesn't do anything? park brake cable could be bad. Need a little more info

Old 05-11-2016, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by jakefluker
Check the batter/connections to start. Is it trying to start or just doesn't do anything? park brake cable could be bad. Need a little more info
well i had a problem prior to this one for the car not starting or even cranking(despite the starter that i purchased 20 minutes before. and the 100% battery and less than year old dizzy and alternator). I disconnected the NEG and the light went off until i screw the terminal back in. when i turn the key forward it turns off but when i turn it back and take it out its back on. I also put the PARKING BRAKE on and put it in neutral to push, wouldnt budge and when i took the BRAKE off and tried, it was ready to roll. i sent it to the shop this morning so he can rack his brain on all of it. im just tryin to find possibilities to eliminate guesswork to save time for him

Old 05-13-2016, 08:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by DerrtyD
well i had a problem prior to this one for the car not starting or even cranking(despite the starter that i purchased 20 minutes before. and the 100% battery and less than year old dizzy and alternator). I disconnected the NEG and the light went off until i screw the terminal back in. when i turn the key forward it turns off but when i turn it back and take it out its back on. I also put the PARKING BRAKE on and put it in neutral to push, wouldnt budge and when i took the BRAKE off and tried, it was ready to roll. i sent it to the shop this morning so he can rack his brain on all of it. im just tryin to find possibilities to eliminate guesswork to save time for him
Alright well keep me posted, interested on what the problem is. It usually turns out to be something simple.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:42 PM

the problem was with the Neutral Saftey Switch. started fine yesterday but im gonna go check it in a while